"Must Love Mutts" Program: Intern Program for Young Volunteers
Want to Learn More About the Must Love Mutts Program? Here's How it Works...
The Must Love Mutts (MLM) program is a program for highly committed, young volunteers who want to make a difference for local shelter dogs. Interns will gain experience that should begin to help them begin to decide if they want to work in animal-related professions (e.g., vet tech, vet, training, grooming). Interns will be mentored in a supportive environment at the Animal Adoption Foundation (AAF).
- be a "big brother/big sister" for a group of shelter dogs. That is, interns will make sure the dogs get fun, safe exercrise as well as training to improve the dogs' adoptability;
- gain valuable experience related to animal training training and care based on latest scientific information;
- be mentored by animal trainer, Eileen Udry, Ph.D. and senior interns;
- need to work cooperatively with the other interns in the program as well as take direction from those supervising the experience;
- participate in both on-site and off-site professional development activities (i.e., past guest speakers have included a vet, a professional dog trainer, a dog groomer, etc.);
- Eager Pup Special t-shirt: applies to those interns who apply by the deadline and attend at least 85% of the sessions
June 12-August 8: Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays 11:30- 3pm (note: this internship experience is 115 hours; it promises to be a great way to learn and serve this summer).
To qualify for the MLM program interns:
- Age: must be 15-21 years of age and have parent or guardian consent if under 18 years of age;
- Transportation: must have reliable transportation to and from the program;
- Food: should bring their own lunch and/or snacks;
- Training: must have completed AAF's CARE Level 3 training by the start of the program (note: arrangements can be made for applicants who need to take AAF's volunteer training prior to the start of the intern program);
- Commitment: must be able to attend at least 28 out of the 33 sessions (note: this requirement is due to safety reasons and the cumulative nature of the program), and,
- Safety: should be aware that they will be working both indoors and outdoors with shelter dogs in various types of weather conditions.
Interns apply to the program and will be selected based on:
- meeting the above minimal requirements;
- maturity and desire to work with animals as a profession (e.g., as vets, animal trainers, groomers, vet techs, etc.);
- ability to work effectively within the shelter environment; and,
- quality of online application.
Eager Pup Registration Deadline: May 22, 2015 (see above for details).
Registration Deadline: June 5, 2014
Space is limited to 4 interns. Don't wait to apply!
To apply to the MLM program: Use the ""Register" button at the top of this page to start the application process (or go to: http://mlmataaf.eventbrite.com/). Once you complete your application and submit it, you will receive a confirmation email letting you know your application has been received. Your application will then be reviewed. For questions about this process or experience problems during the application process, contact: Eileen Udry: email@example.com.
Need More Info?
To obtain additional information about the MLM program, contact: Eileen Udry: firstname.lastname@example.org; or call: 513.593.6557.
Thanks for Considering the "Must Love Mutts" Program!
Animal Adoption Foundation
2480 Millville-Ross Road
OH OH 45013
Animal Adoption Foundation
The Animal Adoption Foundation is a no-kill shelter (non profit) for dogs and cats that have been abused or abandoned. AAF provides a safe and humane environment for dogs and cats that are waiting to be adopted. Our caring volunteers and generous, donors enable us to provide a safe and haven for our special friends. Please read about our volunteer programs and opportunities!
Visit our website: www.aafpets.org; or "like" us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/AnimalAdoptionFoundation