MORE THAN A SCORE: Talking Back to Testing Forum
Saturday, February 1, 2014 from 11:00 AM to 3:00 PM (EST)
New York, NY
Connect with others who want to reverse the
use of high-stakes tests to evaluate students, teachers and schools.
Panel and workshops will discuss:
- What are the effects of high stakes testing on students, teachers and school communities?
- What are solid alternatives to standardized testing that already exist?
- How can we be active in the fight for a better educational system for ALL students?
Hear and speak to educators and students from schools where standardized tests are not used to make major decisions. There's overwhelming evidence to support that collaboration trumps competition when it comes to bringing out the best in all of our students.
Together we can stop the corporate standardization of education and create a responsive educational system that serves the needs of our young people and communities.
Childcare is available! Email: email@example.com to confirm
11:00-11:15- Welcome and Introductions!
11:15-11:45- Key Notes Speakers
11:55-12:55- Workshops Round 1 (Diverse range of workshops for everyone)
* Portfolio Based Assessments (Middle/High School): Presented by educators from a Consortium High School (Non-regents based public high school)
* High Stakes Testing 101: The Truth About Testing- Presented by Change the Stakes
* Why the UFT should fight "Advance": Presented by MORE's Contract Committee
* High Stakes Testing and Zero Tolerance Policies- Promoting Restorative Justice
in our schools: Teacher's Unite
* Building Student Voice and Empowerment: NYC Student Union: Building Student Unions on your own campus. Let's build a network of collaboration for collective action to have our educational demands met.
* Portfolio Based Assessments in Elementary Schools- Presented by elementary school educators in the current progressive network
1:00-2:00- GET PLUGGED IN! Round 2 (Great place for people who are already plugged in to different community based groups and for those who are looking to learn more about how to get actively informed.)
* MORE- Movement of Rank and File Educators:
* Change the Stakes
* NYC Student Union
* Teacher's Unite
2:00-3:00- Mingle and Meet- light lunch and connect at the water cooler
LOOKING FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE!
*Workshop organizers subject to change depending on demand.
Change the Stakes http://changethestakes.wordpress.com/
Movement of Rank and File Educators http://morecaucusnyc.org/
Teacher's Unite http://www.teachersunite.net/
When & Where
Movement of Rank & File Educators and Change the Stakes
MORE is the social justice caucus in the UFT formed by rank and file educators. We believe that our working conditions are inextricably linked to our students' learning conditions.
Change the Stakes is a grassroots parent led group started in 2011 who are joined by educators and concerned community members around the movement to eliminate the high stakes attached to testing.