Mitigating the Risk of Wage Claims: Workers misclassification and IRS Audit
Friday, January 11, 2013 from 10:00 AM to 11:30 AM (PST)
Palo Alto, CA
This Wage claims webinar will discuss how to mitigate risk of wage claims by avoiding misclassification of employees, correctly determining worker status. You will also understand Section 530 Relief Requirement for business under IRS Audit, Voluntary Classification Settlement Program and its eligibility.
Why Should You Attend:
Employee misclassification is a growing problem. In 2011 alone, the Wage and Hour Division found that more than $5.3 million in back wages was due to more than 7,700 employees who had been misclassified.
The Internal Revenue Service has initiated a tax compliance program that will help many employers to resolve past worker classification issues and achieve certainty under the tax law at a low cost rather than waiting for an IRS audit. At the same time, the U.S. Department of Labor’s Wage and Hour Division have launched a concentrated enforcement initiative which aims to curtail the trend that resulted from employees being misclassified as independent contractors or otherwise not treated as employees. The Wage and Hour Division investigators promised to make unannounced visits. This move by the U.S. Department of Labor’s Wage and Hour Division should put all employers on notice and create the need to reevaluate the employment relationship that exist within their organization for compliance.
Hence this webinar aims at helping employers define the right employment relationship; identify ways to avoiding IRS audit and practical ways to mitigating the risk of wage claim. This seminar is a must for any employer preparing for possible IRS audit or wage inspection. Discover an alternative method to determine worker status, Understand the Relief Requirement for business under IRS Audit and benefit of Voluntary Classification Settlement Program.
This is a two part seminar that will be held for 90 minutes each on two separate days. The first part of the webinar is titled: FLSA Pitfall to Avoid - Overtime and Wage Compliance.
Areas Covered in the Webinar:
- Independent Contractor vs. Employee- Definition.
- Factors to consider when determining workers status.
- Section 530 Relief Requirement for business under IRS Audit.
- Voluntary Classification Settlement Program, VCSP for employers who currently misclassify their workers and who are not under IRS investigation.
- Eligibility requirement for the VCSP.
- Mitigating the Risk of Wage Claims.
- Define the right employment relationship
- Discover an alternative method to determine worker status
- Understand the Relief Requirement for business under IRS Audit
- The benefit of Voluntary Classification Settlement Program
- Discover ways to mitigate the risk of wage claim
When & Where
At ComplianceOnline, we are focused on :
- Enhancing global compliance, creating a world where quality and compliance professionals, regulators, and government agencies come together to help the world comply with the intent and the spirit of laws, policies and mandates, ensuring continuous improvement in global operations, quality & safety.
- Making sure that we are responsible corporate citizens helping our constituents build a more responsible enterprise, one which operates with high quality , under a code of ethics, and with process discipline to ensure greater shareholder returns.
- Keeping things simple and straight forward , so that we all can indeed improve the quality of our processes, our work, our businesses and enhance compliance globally.
- Being inclusive, giving the process experts ( & novices! ), compliance professionals, quality champions, and regulatory agencies a voice so that all of us can contribute and make a difference.