Mindfulness is paying attention, on purpose, in the present moment, without judgment.
Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) uses mindful movement, meditation, group discussion, and inquiry to teach the participant how to use mindfulness to respond more effectively to stress. Studies indicate that MBSR programs can reduce anxiety and increase general well-being and overall happiness.
This comprehensive 9 week (10 sessions) program will provide you with:
- Practical ways to integrate mindfulness into daily life and build and sustain a personal mindfulness practice
- A deep understanding of such topics as mindfulness, stress, and communication
- Interactive mindfulness practices
- Small and large group discussion
- Daily home practice materials and CD’s of guided mindfulness practices
Mindfulness can be successfully learned and practiced by people of all ages and backgrounds. No prior experience is necessary. This course is open to the public.
Dates: Tuesdays, March 21-May 16, 2017 1st session March 21 is a required orientation. In addition there is a full day retreat on Saturday May 6.
Location: BMC, Chestnut Conference Room 2
Time: 6-8:30 P.M.
$150* for Baystate Health employees.
$400 for non-Baystate Health employees
*Baystate employees have the option of paying this cost via BH payroll deduction. You will be sent a payroll deduction form via email and it is due prior to the first day of class. In addition, this course is eligible for the $150 Fitness/Stress Reduction Reimbursement for Baystate Health employees enrolled in the BH-HNE medical plan. The form is located eWorkplace/BaystateHealthy/Fitness.
Credit card payments incur a service fee added to the cost of the course.
Refunds: You will receive a full refund if you cancel your payment within the first 4 days of class.
- If you paid by credit card, and cancel within 4 days of the first class, log back into EventBrite to cancel your enrollment.
- If you paid by payroll deduction, email BaystateHealthy@BaystateHealth.org
You will receive a partial refund if you cancel before the third class, minus a $50 processing fee. You must email the instructor and BaystateHealthy@BaystateHealth.org with your request by the deadline.
Participants who completed the program report:
- “I now have control over how stress affects me, my health and my well-being.”
- “I learned what it means to live in the present moment. To plan for the future, without living in the future. To reflect on the past, without dwelling in the past.”
- “Mindfulness helps me keep a level head during unpleasant situations.”
About the Instructor:
Robert Smith, DO is the Director of Baystate Health’s Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction Programs. In addition, he trains mindfulness teachers worldwide as a teacher trainer for Oasis Professional Education Programs at the Center for Mindfulness at the University of Massachusetts Medical School. Dr. Smith is also an Assistant Clinical Professor of Family Medicine at Tufts University School of Medicine.
Baystate Medical Center
759 Chestnut Street
Chestnut Surgery & Conference Center Building. Room: Chestnut 2
Springfield, MA 01199