MIDDLE & HIGH SCHOOL: Take the Dread Out of Writing With Technology
Saturday, March 16, 2013 from 9:30 AM to 12:00 PM (PDT)
Palo Alto, CA
Students often dislike writing because they stumble with some part of the writing process. In this class, you'll learn how technology tools can relieve writing anxieties connected with generating and organizing ideas, finding the right words, editing, and correcting spelling and grammar. You will also learn of options for generating written text more quickly and managing large writing projects. This class includes live demonstrations.
Who should attend: Content is primarily aimed at parents and teachers; however, interested middle and high school students are welcome to attend.
Participants will also learn:
- How to decide if a student is a good candidate for speech recognition
- How to use templates to model good writing form
- How text-to-speech software can improve editing
- How to break writing projects into more manageable "chunks"
- The importance of matching technology to a student's abilities, task and setting
Technology tools to be discussed and/or demonstrated include:
- Forte & Neo 2 (portable word processors)
- Speech recognition for Windows PCs, Macs, iPads and smartphones
- Ginger Software and Ghotit (contextual spelling and grammar checkers)
- Inspiration, Kidspiration, Draft:Builder and XMind (outlining & mind mapping software)
- Software to improve keyboarding skills
The instructor for this course will be:
Shelley Haven, ATP, RET, Assistive Technology Consultant
Specializing in matching students with technology that addresses learning differences. Shelley consults with students, parents and educators. Previously, she directed assistive technology for Stanford University and helped establish the Schwab Learning Center at Stanford.
When & Where
Children's Health Council
At Children's Health Council, we believe there is a world of promise and potential in every child. Using a personalized approach, we help your children become happier, more resilient and more successful.
Our mission is to help children wtih ADHD, LD, Anxiety & Depression and Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) thrive by promoting Social Emotional Learning, Academics, Executive Functioning and Physical Development.
Our Center, two schools and Community Clinic serve families in the Silicon Valley as well as the greater San Francisco Bay Area.