San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
This Microsoft Geeki Girl App Camp is comprised of five, two-hour workshop sessions. Ideally, these are sequential sessions developed for 8-13 year-olds and Boomer Girls too.
The overall theme of the camp focuses on planning, creating, publishing and marketing game apps with mythical camp kids’ characters. The primary objective for all sessions is to have fun, gain a general knowledge of the technology, and inspire Geeki Girls to pursue their interests in this area. This five session App Camp is designed to offer participants the chance to create, program and develop game apps while learning key skills for working with computers in the future.
Geeki Girls are encouraged to attend all five session, although some may not. The sessions are designed for participants who may not have used the specific software, and have varying levels of expertise. Geeki Girls and Boomer Girls may bring their own Windows 8 tablet, or share one in the store. Activities are engaging and change frequently.
The Geeki Girl Game App Camp includes these five daily sessions:
1. 1. Analyze completed games in action. Learn basic game app design principles such as building a storyline for games.
2. Create and modify objects, including sprites and backgrounds. Build levels to house all game objects in rooms.
3. Apply actions to game objects to bring life to the game.
4. Add the final touches to a game including scoring, game ending, personalization, and troubleshooting of any possible programming issues.
5. Finish your game by publishing and marketing it to your friends and family !
Join us for a fun evening full of new friends and great technology too. It doesn’t get better than this.
Geeki Girls always have the most fun. See you there.
Noreen Legault Mendoza
Geeki Girls, Founding Director
When & Where
Geeki Girls, Inc. More info at www.geekigirl.org
Geeki Girl (g3) is an organization of college students, professional and retired women and men dedicated to educating middle school girls in science, technology, engineering, and math through art – S.T.E.A.M.
“…Art and technology share the fundamental characteristic of innovation, as well as a synergy at the forefront of cultural innovation…” - Pittsburgh Technology Council. A Geeki Girl is a female of any age who is excited about learning, having fun and being around other smart girls. It isn’t just for schoolgirls: I’m 62, but I have a passion for learning new technologies. And, men are always welcome at our events. Our mission is twofold:
- Bring Science, Technology, Engineering, Art and Math (S.T.E.A.M.) into middle schools, to be able to excite young girls about all the possibilities these career fields offer women.
- Have places, virtual and actual, where women and men can come together, have fun and celebrate the joy of learning.