The Autism Alliance of Barry County is sponsoring Michigan Autism Safety Training (MAST) for the community of Barry County
This training will provide participants and opportunity to:
- Expand their knowledge of autism and autistic behaviors.
- Increase understanding of safety risks to individuals with autism and invididuals with special needs in the home, school, and community settings.
- Acquire information and resources to develop and launch a safety plan.
- Learn community outreach strategies to increase autism awareness and safety.
Research indicates that people who have developmental disabilities, including autism, have up to SEVEN TIMES more contact with law enforcement than a member of the general public (Curry et. al, 1993).
Instructor: Sgt. Scott Schuelke (Ret. Lansing Police Department), Autism Safety Specialist, Autism Alliance of Michigan
Training is endorsed by:
- MI Association of Police Chiefs (MCOLS)
- MI Municipal Risk Management Authority (MMRMA)
- MI Sherrifs' Association
- MI Dept of Community Mental Health (MDCH)
Training is sponsored free of charge by Autism Alliance of Barry County (AABC)