The Autism Alliance of Barry County is sponsoring Michigan Autism Safety Training (MAST) for all local responders within Barry County, free of charge to participants.
The AABC is hosting 3 MAST Training Sessions: 4/24/17 morning & evening, 4/26/17, morning
Police, Fire, and EMS will:
- Expand their knowledge of autism and autistic behaviors.
- Increase their recognition skills of persons with autism.
- Acquire information and tips on how to effectively interact with individuals with autism & their families and care providers.
- Learn community outreach strategies that will increase support and safety of those with autism.
- Receive first responder continuing education credit.
- Credit for attendance provided for MCOLES and 911 dispatchers.
Research indicates that people who have developmental disabilities, including autism, have up to SEVEN TIMES more contact with law enforcement than a member of the general public (Curry et. al, 1993).
Instructor: Sgt. Scott Schuelke (Ret. Lansing Police Department), Autism Safety Specialist, Autism Alliance of Michigan
Training is endorsed by:
- MI Association of Police Chiefs (MCOLS)
- MI Municipal Risk Management Authority (MMRMA)
- MI Sherrifs' Association
Training is sponsored free of charge by Autism Alliance of Barry County (AABC)