Metroplex Literacy Conference 2017
The Metroplex Literacy Conference is hosted by Dallas Baptist University, Dallas Baptist Association, Hope Literacy, Inc., Literacy Connexus, and Tarrant Literacy Coalition.
Saturday, March 4, 2017 from 8:30 AM to 3:30 PM (CST)
San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
Metroplex Literacy Conference 2017: Engaging the church with the community for literacy missions.
Join faith and community-based literacy teachers and volunteers for a day of networking and learning.
Workshops offered (This is a tentative list and subject to change):
- Refugees in the Metroplex. Led by Liz Harlin, VMLC. Learn about the refugee population in our North Texas cities, their strengths and needs, and how literacy programs can best serve them.
- Sharing Christ with your Muslim Friends. Led by Amie Sarker, GFM Ministries. Tips for having spiritual conversations with Muslim friends.
- Teaching Workplace Culture to Low-Literacy English Speakers: led by Candace Winslow, Dallas Christian Women’s Job Corps. Workshop attendees will discover ways to incorporate improving workplace skills into their literacy lessons.
- Teaching Citizenship Online. Did you know there are phone apps that teach citizenship? In this workshop you’ll discover many online resources for teaching citizenship via mobile phones, tablets, and laptop computers.
- Helping Adults Read Better: led by Lester Meriwether and Jana Marbut-Ray, Literacy Connexus. This is a 6-hour training for volunteers desiring to teach basic literacy to adult learners (English speakers). Attendees will not participate in additional workshops.
- Model: Southcliff Baptist Church Apartment Ministry: led by John Spear. Learn about how Southcliff church serves a nearby apartment complex both onsite at at the church campus.
- Ready for School: Literacy Learning forChildren of Refugees: led by Caroline Bell, Literacy Connexus; Karen Morrow, Cooperative Baptist Fellowship. This workshop will offer practical ideas to incorporate literacy instruction in your church’s preschool ministries.
- School Partnerships for Literacy: Led by Chelsie Hoard, Dallas Baptist Association. Learn how churches can partner with local public schools to improve children’s literacy.
- Books for Kids in Summer Programs. Led by Shewanda Riley, Literacy Connexus. Take advantage of the opportunity provided by summer programs to improve children’s reading skills during the summer months.
- ESL Conversation Partners on College Campuses. Led by Cindy Kilpatrick, University of Texas at Arlington. This workshop will focus on the concept of missional literacy—taking the church literacy ministry off campus to place where people live, work, and play.
- T-Call Resources. Understand the many resources offered from this Texas literacy organization.
- The High School Equivalency Exam in Texas. Panel discussion.Options for helping students who did not graduate from high school.
- Becoming a HOPE Program of Excellence. Led by Sarah Wright and John Spear. Learn about the 15 points of excellence that designates church and community-based programs as "Programs of Excellence" by Hope Literacy, Inc.
- Teaching Adults with Learning Differences. Led by Karen Guida, LIFT. Many adult literacy learners have learning disabilities. This workshop will offer help to church and community-based volunteers identify and teach adults with learning disabilities.
- Teaching a Citizenship Class. Led by Barbara Damron, First Baptist Church, Arlington.
- ESL Awake, Alive, and Fun. Led by Karen Peiser, Literacy Connexus.
- Free Online Resources. Led by Ann Beeson, independent literacy consultant.
When is the last day I can register online? You may register online through February 28, 2017.
Can I register by mail? Yes. Here is a link to a downloadable, paper registration form. Include your check for registrtion fees when you mail.
Where is the Patty & Bo Pilgrim chapel on the DBU campus? The chapel is on the west side of the campus. It is a large, multi-storied, white building with a tall steeple. View the campus map.
Where do I park and how much does it cost? Parking is available in the lot in front of Pilgrim Chapel. Parking is free.
Is lunch included? Yes, your registration fee includes a light breakfast snack and a boxed lunch.
May I pay with a check instead of online? Yes. Download paper registration form. Please make checks payable to Hope Literacy, Inc. Mail your check and completed paper registration forms by February 19, 2016, to Dallas Baptist Association, attn: MLC 2016, 8001 E. R.L. Thornton Freeway, Dallas, TX 75228.
May I pay at the door? No. All registrations must be paid online or by a mailed check.
Do I have to bring my printed ticket to the event? You do not need to bring your ticket to the event unless you are using a ticket transferred to you by someone else.
What is the refund policy? You may receive a full refund if you request by February 28, 2017.
The name on the registration/ticket does not match the attendee. Is that OK? Yes. Tickets are transferrable.