A daylong series of talks, presentations and workshops, convening people who are passionate about creating positive change through media. The forum is designed for information-sharing on case studies, best practices, and requests for collaboration in the media and social impact sectors.
VOICES: Race & Gender
- Tasneem Raja, Senior Editor, NPR Code Switch
- Laura Donnelly Gonzalez, Founder & COO, Latinitas
- Chenjerai Kumanyika, Assistant Professor & Journalist, Clemson University
- Srivi Ramasubramanian, Co-Founder & Executive Director, Media Rise (moderator)
- Nicole Anand, Associate Director of Strategy, Reboot
- Adam Kaplan, Senior Media Advisor, USAID Office of Transition Initiatives
- Blair Glencorse, Executive Director, Accountability Lab (moderator)
- Sarah duPont, Founder & President, Amazon Aid Foundation
- Joan Michelson, CEO, Executive Editor & Host, Green Connections Media
- PJ Yesawich, Freelance Intergrated Creative Director, Lost + Found
- Mandar Apte, Co-Founder & Global Partnerships Director, Media Rise (moderator)
|8:30am - 9:00am||Breakfast & Registration|
|9:00am - 10:00am||Welcome & Orientation|
|10:00am - 11:15am||
VOICES: Race & Gender
|11:15am - 12:30pm||SYSTEMS: Governance & Accountability|
|12:30pm - 1:30pm||Lunch|
|1:30pm - 2:45pm||SYSTEMS: Environmental Sustainability|
|2:45pm - 4:00pm||Ask & Give|
|4:00pm - 5:00pm||Wrap-up & Call-to-Action|
Media Rise is a global nonprofit volunteer-driven alliance that connects people and ideas to promote meaningful media. We believe in the power of positive storytelling, media, art and design to make the world a better place.
The weeklong Media Rise Festival in Washington, D.C. includes a pitch night for media innovators, a video challenge connecting filmmakers with local nonprofits, a forum of panel talks, a youth festival for teens and educators, and other community-driven events.
The 2015 festival will explore how media can build trust and empathy through individual voices and community systems.
Our topics this year:
- Race, ethnicity & indigenous issues
- Gender & sexuality
- Governance & accountability
- Environmental sustainability
When & Where
Media Rise connects people and ideas to promote meaningful media.
We believe in the power of storytelling, art and design to make the world a better place.
We are committed to these calls to action:
We empower people to create and consume meaningful media that promotes universal human values such as compassion, empathy and respect.
We encourage collaboration between cause-driven creatives, media professionals, educators, government and nonprofit leaders to focus and amplify their collective impact.
We celebrate success stories of how to unleash the power of media to accelerate social change.
Rise with us.