Actions and Detail Panel
Math Leadership Cohort- Middle Grade Schools
Fri, May 12, 2017, 8:30 AM – 2:30 PM EDT
Queens South Field Support Center
Instructional Leadership for Middle Grades- Mathematics
Purpose: To support schools leaders to utilize the Framework elements to develop and sustain school-wide practices that nurture student agency and strengthen teacher pedagogy in Mathematics through cycles of continuous improvement informed by research and data.
- Create and enact effective schoolwide assessment practices in mathematics
- Increase capacity to develop teacher pedagogy that support student achievement and agency in math classrooms
- Strengthen, monitor and facilitate math teacher-team structures that support the use of student data to design unit outlines and lesson plans that meet the need of all students including those that need intervention and enrichment
- Recognize and promote high-leverage practices that deepen students’ role in improving academic discourse and content-based writing in mathematics
School Leaders from select district school will engage in a five session series as a cohort of leaders. It is expected that the same personnel attend each session in order to maximize the continuity of the work in the building and foster the development of relationships in support of sharing best practices across the district. The final session will be a share fair that chronicles the journey of the leader with a teacher team/group of teachers. There will be a bridge to practice for each session that connects the work of the day to the application in the schools. Leaders will have an opportunity to share their bridge to practice artifacts and learning at the start of sessions two to five. These artifacts will support the presentations at session five.
Celebrating the Journey:
Participants are responsible for maintaining an electronic portfolio of the work done in the Bridge to Practice and preparing a presentation for the final session. Participants are free to use the lens of one of the following as the focus of their presentation:
1) Assessment Practices
2) Teacher Teams- The Engine of the school
3) Student Agency in Mathematics.
4) Academic Discourse and Writing in Math around rich tasks.
Launch: November 23
Session 1: December 20, 2016
Session 2: January 18, 2017
Session 3: February 17, 2017
Session 4: March 17, 2017
Session 5: May 12, 2017
Celebration Session: May 26, 2017
We look forward to an excellent, engaging series.