Actions and Detail Panel
Master Class for Teaching Online - July 2017
Mon, Jul 17, 2017, 8:00 AM – Sun, Jul 30, 2017, 11:59 PM MST
This two week, asynchronous online workshop is designed to facilitate peer sharing of strategies for designing and teaching online courses. Taught in Blackboard, participants will complete activities with due dates as students, using pedagogy and technologies designed to enhance online learning. Among the topics covered are: creating course orientations, facilitating online discussions, managing writing assignments, using multimedia and reviewing course quality. Workshop activities require approximately 5 - 8 hours per week to complete. While there are assignment deadlines, there are no required synchronous sessions.
NOTE: This is NOT a workshop on the technical aspects of building courses in the Blackboard course management system. Other workshops are available to develop your skills in this area.
- Demonstrate proficient Blackboard navigation from the student perspective.
- Describe key components of online student success.
- Apply question design principles to facilitate engaging class discussions.
- Summarize the benefits of adhering to the Quality Matters rubric.
- Use Bloom's Taxonomy to write measurable learning outcomes.
- Analyze various pedagogical approaches for delivering course content online.
- Describe design techniques of effective presentations.
- Strategize approaches for implementing Master Class resources in your online course.
- Summarize the benefits of optimizing instructor presence in an online learning environment.
Master Class is both for seasoned online faculty and instructors who are new to online teaching. All instructors learn best practices for teaching online and develop comfort with educational technologies. Experienced online faculty gain exposure to new tools that can enhance their instructional strategies.
Participants must have a computer and a webcam, phone or tablet capable of creating and uploading video.
THIS IS A FULLY ONLINE WORKSHOP! While assignments have due dates, there are no face-to-face meetings.
NOTE: This session is restricted to instructors teaching in online degree programs at Arizona State University.
Date and Time
Blackboard at http://myasucourses.asu.edu