Actions and Detail Panel
Martinez Educational Leaders of Color Forum 2017
Thu, April 27, 2017, 6:30 PM – 8:00 PM PDT
Since 2008, Martinez Fellowship Program has been committed to improving the retention of teachers of color in WA state. Traditionally, our programming has been aimed at supporting teachers of color in their master programs and as they pass through their first few years of teaching. We have offered professional development, networking opportunities and a supportive community.
As our group of Fellows has matured as educators, so have their needs. We now notice that our teachers, particularly those who have taught for a number of years, are grappling with how to effect broader change in our system. We have Fellows navigating their way through administrative and instructional support roles, Fellows who are initiating diversity and equity efforts in their schools and districts and Fellows who are taking the steps to connect their schools with their communities.
The Martinez Fellowship Program is now on the path to developing a new effort that will target and support educational leaders of color in WA State. We believe that as our educational leadership becomes stronger and more diverse, we will see an improvement in the retention of teachers of color as well as in the outcomes we realize with students.
What will we be doing at this forum?
- Share experiences, from the POC perspective, on navigating the education system and developing as a leader in education
- Brainstorm ideas that will have a meaningful impact on rising leaders of color, in education
- Network with other leaders of color within the region
Who are you inviting to attend this forum?
- Leaders of color that have an impact on K-12 education (teachers, club/sports advisors, para-educators, classified staff, deans, administrators, district personnel, community partners, etc.)
Will there be food?
- You can expect some light appetizers