Session 1: Wednesday, March 8, 2017
8:00am - 5:00pm EST
Stress has an impact on all of us at some point in our professional lives. Learning how to manage stress and build resilience will result in higher professional productivity, better health, and more sustainable living habits. It will also help us create a physical – and emotional – work-life balance.
In this one-day workshop, you will learn practical solutions to sustain behavior change that can positively impact your life on both a professional and personal level. When you are able to reduce the level of negative stress that affects you, your performance improves, along with your health and happiness. The objective of this course is therefore not only to create awareness around emotional well-being in a work context, but also to help participants create a better overall balance between the investment they make in their personal and professional lives.
This course covers how our perceptions affect our beliefs and how our beliefs affect our actions. You will learn a host of stress-reduction techniques, while exploring your own stress triggers and responses. Highly interactive, the sessions cover a blend of theory, discussions, and exercises. You will explore concepts with fellow participants within a safe environment where skills and habits can be developed, sharpened, and improved.
- Employees in any job role, organization, and operation
- Individual contributors and managers
- Identifying the thinking patterns behind your beliefs and associated behavior
- Facilitating a behavior change in how you perceive and deal with negative stress
- Developing skills that lead to more productive thoughts and habits that enable well-being
- Creating a personal action plan to overcome negative stress and promote work-life balance
You’ll learn how to:
- Identify what stress feels like and what the typical symptoms and reactions are to stress
- Analyze your own responses to stressful events and the consequences of those reactions
- Organize your work structure to reduce stress and build resilience
- Recognize activities that drain you and those that give you energy
- Generate relief from stressful events
- Cultivate a mindset of resilience
- Better manage your time, work commitments, and personal boundaries in order to be most effective at your job
- Course structure
- Course goals and objectives
Overview of Stress
- What is stress?
- Causes of stress
- Responses to stress
- Cognitive and emotional warning signs
- Physical and behavioral symptoms
Your Beliefs and Behaviors
- What are your beliefs about stress?
- TED Talk by Kelly McGonigal (optional 10-minute video)
- Exercise: Stress Reactions and their Consequences
- Changing your mindset around stress
- Exercise: Thinking Patterns and Responses
- Taking Control – what can you start/stop doing?
- Exercise: Burnout or rustout?
- Cultivating work-life balance
- Drainers and energizers
- Creating a better energy balance
Techniques to Overcome Negative Stress
- Visualization and relaxation techniques
- Exercise: Guided Visualization (optional)
- The mind/body connection
- Focus and mindfulness
Changing Your Working Practices
- Exercise: How proactive are you?
- Prioritizing and planning your time
- Time management techniques
- How to say “no”
- Communication and boundary setting
- The key to lasting happiness
- Exercise: Cultivating Gratitude
- Creating your personal action plan
- What did we learn, and how can we implement this in our work environment?
When complete, you can earn 7 Professional Development Units (PDUs) in the Leadership category.