General Program Details:
- 9am- 3pm, includes a new hands-on, interactive tech-arts “Challenge” project each morning and afternoon
- Ages 6-12 (flexibility on ages; please email SummerCamp@Maker-State.com with questions). While our Challenge Projects are structured building and learning experiences, we manage our MakerSpaces so that kids of diverse ages and abilities can engage in and master new STEM skills during each session.
- Drop off from 8:30am and pick up until 3:30pm with Free Build time in Minecraft Engineering, Scratch Coding & Game Design, and 3D Design during Before and After Camp Care. If you want to have extended Before/After Camp Care, please see option immediately below.
- Before & After Camp Care: The STEM fun and learning continues before and after camp each day as we build games and epic Minecraft machines, and play games outside from 8-9am and 3-5pm each day.
- Lunch & Recess! Daily lunch and recess with supervised physical games. Kids must have their own NUT-FREE snacks and lunches. We’ll have plenty of time for fun games during lunch and recess like Four Square, Spikeball, and Capture the Flag Laser Tag!
- 7:1 student-to-instructor ratio. Each instructor is a 2016-2017 Maker Fellow, trained in 21st Century Skills learning, the Engineering Design Process, and our award-winning Challenge Curriculum. Our Maker Fellowship program trains STEAM-mastery instructors in schools nationwide.
- Cancellation: To cancel registration for a week of camp, MakerState must be notified 30 days or more before the start of that week of camp to receive the balance of your registration minus a $250 non-refundable cancellation fee. Tuition within 30 days of the start of camp is non-refundable but transferable to family or friends.
- At pick up time, photo ID will be required by whoever is picking up campers.
- All camp programs may include projects from the following themes:
- Designing for Invention
- Designing for Digital Arts
- LEGO Robotics with Arduino
- LEGO Robotics & Flying Machines
- Minecraft & Kodu
- Minecraft & Scratch Coding
- Engineering for Invention
- Engineering for Space Exploration
- Digital Art
Camp Day Description:
Camp days start at 9:00am and run through 3:00pm full of exciting STEM challenges! Each morning starts with a meeting to establish the two challenge builds of the day, introduce students to the keywords that will be used in describing the challenge, and explain the main concepts that will be covered. Engineers will dive into the morning challenge by brainstorming solutions as a class and researching methods through examining pre-built prototypes. Working in small groups, engineers will build their first prototype and playtest their design. Until lunch young engineers will iterate on their initial designs culminating in a presentation and a badge ceremony in which young engineers will be awarded a badge to commemorate their effort solving the problem.
After the morning challenge young engineers will take a break to eat lunch and enjoy recess activities such as Four Square, Spikeball, and Capture the Flag Laser Tag! Returning from recess, students will start the second challenge of the day. Following the steps of the engineering design process outlined in the morning challenge. Afternoon projects will culminate in a parent presentation and a final badge ceremony.
Camp days will also offer a 1 hour before care option from 8:00am to 9:00am and a 2 hour after care option from 3:00pm to 5:00pm. The before and after care will be billed as an additional charge to the regular camp day.
- 8:00am to 9:00am [optional charge] Engineers can get a head start on the day and tinker with the day’s new tech or continue to work on a project from previous days.
- 9am Open Makerspace: exploring and creating with littleBits, MaKey MaKey, CircuitScribe, and Snap Circuits (note that we also have 8-9am optional Before Camp Care)
- 9:30am Circle Meeting: find out the Masterpiece we’ll build this morning with a special emphasis on how it’s built, the STEM concept/skill the engineers will apply/learn when they build, and where they see this in the real world. Engineers will brainstorm solutions as a class that everyone can use.
- 9:45am Engineers receive their first “Challenge”. They will build the Masterpiece in collaborative groups or individually, with a break for a healthy snack in the middle
- 11:30am Break for lunch and physical play recess including games such as four square, spikeball, and capture the flag laser tag!
- 1pm Circle Meeting and another Challenge and Masterpiece building session in the afternoon
- 2:45pm Engineers build two Masterpieces each day that demonstrate their new interest and mastery of STEM concepts and skills. A circle debrief, in which we reflect upon our creativity and collaboration, ends the day.
- 3:00pm Parent pick up (although we have 3-5pm optional After Camp each day with more robots and games and coding!)
- 3:00pm to 5:00pm [optional charge] Engineers can continue their work in the MakerSpace after the regular camp day and pursue extra projects.
Links to the other MakerState Summer Camp Events:
Does MakerState have an Early Bird special discount?
Yes! Any weeks purchased prior to February 28th will receive a discount of $125.00 off. To receive this discount please enter discount code EarlyBird by clicking on the "enter promotional code" link at the bottom of the program week registration list. Please be advised, the Early Bird discount will be the lowest price for any program week all summer. As such, the multiple sibling and multiple week discounts will not apply to any Early Bird discount weeks.
Does MakerState have a discount for multiple siblings?
Yes! A $25.00 rebate per week will be issued on the second sibling's account for every week that both siblings attend. The same rebate applies to additional siblings beyond the second. Please make sure to check the “multiple campers” option during checkout. All rebates will be processed by no later than September 8th, 2017.
Does MakerState have a discount for multiple weeks?
Yes! A $50.00 discount for each additional week beyond the first week of camp will be issued. Please make sure to check the “attending multiple weeks” option during checkout. All rebates will be processed by no later than September 8th, 2017.
Does MakerState have any special scholarships?
Due to more modest pricing this summer, we are not offering scholarships discounts this year.
Does MakerState offer one day registration?
Yes. Please click HERE to register for individual days of camp.
What is the price of Before Camp Care?
$10.00 per day or $30.00 per day if combined with After Camp Care.
What is the price of After Camp Care?
$20.00 per day or $30.00 per day if combined with Before Camp Care.
What is the drop off time?
No earlier than 8:30am without Before Camp Care.
What if I need to drop my camper off before 8:30am?
You will need to pay for the additional Before Camp Care rate for that day.
What is the pick up time?
No later than 3:30pm without After Camp Care.
What if I’m late picking up my camper?
You will need to pay for the additional After Camp Care rate for that date.
How much screen time will the campers have?
Our programs focus on project based learning combining both physical and digital aspects of challenge series. Students will spend equal amount of time on computers compared to physical build activities as well as an hour and a half for lunch and recess activities.
What recess activities will the campers partake in?
Campers will have an hour and a half for lunch and recess. We’ll have plenty of time for fun games during lunch and recess like Four Square, Spikeball, and Capture the Flag Laser Tag!
Can I update my registration information?
Yes, you may update your information at any time before the MakerState summer camp week begins by logging into your Eventbrite account.
Is it ok if the name on my registration doesn't match the person who attends?
Yes, it is ok if the registration name does not match the camper attending. Eventbrite does not allow us to edit the field on the purchasing registration name to clearly identify the camper's name, so the camper name was added as a required field per registration confirmation to help resolve this.
Is my registration for one week transferrable to another week?
Yes, but there is a $20.00 fee for transferring to a different week of camp, as well as any difference in price between the weeks of camp.
Save This Event
When & Where
MakerState empowers kids ages 5-18 with new science, technology, engineering, arts, and math (STEAM) passions and skills through hands-on, in-school, after-school, and summer camp courses in coding and video game design, robot engineering, wearable electronic fashions, 3D design, rocket science, moviemaking, and more. MakerState runs more than 100 makerspaces nationwide. Learn how you can bring a makerspace to your school or community at www.Maker-State.com.