MagicPASS April 2014 Meeting
Wednesday, April 16, 2014 from 5:00 PM to 9:00 PM (EDT)
Free SQL Server Training!
Join us for the April 2014 meeting of MagicPASS, South Orlando's SQL Server User Group. Food and beverages will be served, plus we've got swag to give away!
This month we are excited to welcome PASS co-founder and Microsoft SQL Server MVP Kevin Kline for a double header presentation: Ten Query Tuning Techniques Every SQL Programmer Should Know at the main meeting plus Convince Me – Persuasion Techniques That Get Things Done at the pre-meeting.
If you've been meaning to ask your boss to go the PASS Summit, to purchase software to help you do your job, or for anything else at work to help your career you especially don't want to miss the pre-meeting!
After the meeting we'll head to the Celebration Town Tavern for more socializing. (You are responsible for your own drinks)
Make a difference in someone's career: Invite them to attend the meeting with you! (Heck, invite them to attend even if you can't make it)
Ten Query Tuning Techniques Every SQL Programmer Should Know
Speaker: Kevin Kline
Summary:SELECT statements have a reputation for being very easy to write, but hard to write very well. This session will take you through ten of the most problematic patterns and anti-patterns when writing queries and how to deal with them all. Loaded with live demonstrations and useful techniques, this session will teach you how to take your SQL Server queries mundane to masterful.
- Implement a reusable Transact-SQL test harness for reliable query results
- Learn ten patterns that kill the performance of SELECT statements and how to avert them
- Discover the high-impact metadata that shows how a SELECT statement behaves...or misbehaves
About Kevin: Kevin Kline, a longtime Microsoft SQL Server MVP, is a founder and former president of PASS and the author of "SQL in a Nutshell". Kevin is the director of engineering services at SQL Sentry. He tweets at @kekline and blogs at http://KevinEKline.com
Convince Me – Persuasion Techniques That Get Things Done
Speaker: Kevin Kline
Summary:Ever wanted to convince the boss try something new, but didn't know where to start? Ever tried lead your peers only to fail to achieve your goals? This session teaches you the eight techniques of influencing IT professionals, so that you can innovate and achieve change in your organization.
- Learn about the fundamental difference between influence and authority and how you can achieve a high degree of influence without explicit authority
- Learn the eight techniques of influencing IT professionals, when to apply them, and how to best use them
- Discover the communication and procedural techniques that ensure your ideas get a hearing by bosses and peers, and how to best win support for them