The purpose of the American Red Cross Lifeguarding course is to provide entry-level lifeguard participants with the knowledge and skills to prevent, recognize and respond to aquatic emergencies and to provide care for breathing and cardiac emergencies, injuries and sudden illnesses until emergency medical services (EMS) personnel take over.
Questions? First read the info below. If you still have questions, simply click the "Contact the Organizer" button.
- Must be 15 years old on or before the final scheduled session of this course.
- Swim 300 yards continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. Candidates may swim using the front crawl, breaststroke or a combination of both but swimming on the back or side is not allowed. Swim goggles are allowed.
- Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs. Candidates should place their hands under the armpits.
- Complete a timed event within 1 minute, 40 seconds.
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. The face may be in or out of the water. Swim goggles are not allowed.
- Surface dive, feet-first or head-first, to a depth of 7 to 10 feet to retrieve a 10-pound object.
- Return to the surface and swim 20 yards to return to the starting point with both hands holding the object and keeping the face at or near the surface so they are able to get a breath. Candidates should not swim the distance under water.
- Exit the water without using a ladder or steps.
This class will be held on 4 days:
Day 1: February 2nd from 6pm-9:00pm
Day 2: February 3rd from 4:30pm-8:30pm
Day 3: February 4th from 12pm-9pm
Day 4: February 5th from 12pm-9pm
*breaks offered in between sessions; course takes place between classroom and pool hours
In the event you cancel your enrollment in a course, please notify the organizer in writing one week in advance of the course start date to receive a full refund, minus a $35 processing fee to cover third party costs. If you cancel your enrollment in the course less than one week prior to the course start date, your payment of the course will be forfeited. Any fees forfeited are available to be applied toward a future course.
If you enroll in a lifeguarding course and you do not pass the swimming prerequisite you will receive a full refund, minus a $35 processing fee to cover third party costs. This forfeited processing fee is available to be applied toward a future course.
Remember to bring your:
- Ticket (paper or mobile)
- Bathing suit
- Notebook and pen
- Lunch (optional
Instructors: Neely Cohen, Peter Lyerly