Actions and Detail Panel
LGBTQA+ Political Trauma Stress: Turn Anxious Fear into Self-Care Resistanc...
Sat, September 23, 2017, 9:00 AM – 12:30 PM CDT
Registration: Space is limited. You must be registered through this Eventbrite site to attend and to hold your spot.
Two ways to pay:
(1) Register & pay at the Eventbrite site. (Eventbrite will add on their fees.)
(2) No one will be turned away for inability to pay. If you are not able to pay anything or need to make payment arrangements please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. Share thoughts and feelings about the current social - political climate
2. How is the current climate impacting your physical, emotional, psychological health and well-being, and your sense of safety in the world? Are you feeling increased anxiety, fear, helplessness, confusion or anger? Other?
3. Share how participants’ various degrees of privilege and oppression experiences are impacting them during these times
4. Assess your current self-care and well-being habits – quick personal assessment
B. The impacts of “Political Trauma Stress Disorder” – (“PTSD-II”)
1. Discuss the definitions of trauma, PTSD, oppression fatigue, and PTSD-II*
2. Explore the links between the current social – political climate and “PTSD-II,” trauma/PTSD, and oppression fatigue*
3. Learn the science behind our brain and body’s reactions to threats (perceived or real)
4. Understand the natural psycho-physical primal self-protection reactions of fight, flight, flee and freeze
5. Learn scientifically proven methods to calm our bodies and gain more agency over our emotions of anxiety and fear
C. Understand and develop your personal self-care:
1. Identify your definition of self-care
2. Explore how/if your definition of self-cares matches your current care and the person who you want to be
3. Explore what interferes with you doing the self-care you want to do
4. Explore what self-compassion means to you and its relationship to fostering increased self-care
5. Explore how to further integrate self-compassion and your personal values into your self-care intentions and plans
6. Learn and share self-help skills, strategies and ideas
7. Discuss “14 Free Self-Care Strategies”
8. Come away with an actual "My Self Care Plan for the Socially Conscious"
9. Resources (books, online sites, articles and blogs) on big and little ways to resist, connect and get through the next 3.5 years.
* Irene has “invented” the phrases and definitions of “oppression fatigue” and “PTSD-II.” PTSD-II is not an official diagnosis in the DSM manual of mental health diagnosis.