Actions and Detail Panel
LGBT Elder Cultural Competancy Training
Thu, March 30, 2017, 12:00 PM – 1:30 PM EDT
Our nation has a growing population of aging adults with increasing needs. As any other older adult, LGBT seniors face the typical challenges of aging. However, because of their sexual orientation and/or gender identity they are at a higher risk for abuse, discrimination, isolation and exploitation. LGBT elders are five times less likely to access services than non-LGBT seniors. This training is targeted towards community members and professionals who work with older adults and want to be knowledgeable and aware of the needs and concerns of LGBT elders.
- Increased understanding of diversity among elders, their families and caregivers
- Better understanding of the concepts of sexual orientation and gender identity
- Increased awareness of environments that are characterized by inclusion, respect, and dignity
- Tools for learning inclusive communication skills with LGBT elders, their families, and caregivers
- Lessons on how to use affirmative language for appropriate interaction with the LGBT community
- Creation of action plans to care for LGBT seniors
For this training, the following disciplines can receive 1.5 CEU’s:
Registered Nurses, Clinical Social Workers, Psychologists, Respiratory Therapists, Marriage and Family Therapy and Mental Health Counseling, Nursing Home Administrators, and Occupational Therapists
The training is free but if you would like to purchase CEU's the cost is $20 at the time of the training.
For questions contact:
Heidi Katz, Director of Business Innovation and Development at ElderSource Institute.
This is a brown bag lunch event.