Join PANMA and the Society for Technical Communications to learn about key legal issues members of the tech-creative community need to know. Local attorney Heather Winett, www.winettlaw.com, will give pointers for strengthening business relationships and protecting work product, whether you are an independent contractor, startup, employer or employee. Learn how to stay out of court and on task!
What you’ll learn:
- Selecting and registering a business name
- Options for business formation (sole proprietorship vs. LLC vs. corporation, etc.)
- Options for independents to work together
- Internal documentation for operating a small business
- Getting it in writing: contracts (terms & conditions; scope of work)
- Copyright and trademark basics
- Developing a legal “attytude”: accepting the law for what it is
About the speaker: Heather C. Winett is a sole practitioner in Philadelphia with over 30 years experience in the private, corporate and government sectors. Heather focuses on helping small businesses in a range of industries with startup, transactions, government licensing, and real estate issues. She is admitted to practice in Pennsylvania and New Jersey.