Umbrella Theatre Company returns to the National Gallery of Ireland on Saturdays 15th October and 12th November with eight new short plays by playwrights Michael Casey, Gerard Dalton, Celia de Fréine and Michael O’Meara.
Their latest collection of plays, below, draws inspiration from paintings in the National Gallery’s Creating History: Stories of Ireland in Art centenary exhibition which has just opened in the Gallery space.
Combine a visit to the Exhibition and the eight LEGACY plays in the Lecture Theatre on Saturday 15th October or Saturday 12th November.
Preformance of the eight short plays starts at 2.30pm and runs to 5pm on both days.
- Celtic Knots inspired by The Baptism of the King of Cashel by Saint Patrick, James Barry, c1800-1801
- Aoife Rua inspired by The Marriage of Strongbow and Aoife , Daniel Maclise, c1854
- The Disappearance of the Head of Oliver Cromwell inspired by The Battle of the Boyne, Jan Wyck, 1693
- The Return of Michael Dwyer inspired by The Search for Michael Dwyer, William Sadler the Younger, 1803
- The Fall of the Liberator inspired by The Monster Meeting at Clifden in 1843, Joseph Patrick Haverty, 1844
- Peer Review inspired by An Emigrant Ship, Dublin Bay Sunset, Edwin Hayes, 1853
- Rose inspired by Bachelor’s Walk, In Memory, Jack B. Yeats, 1915
- The Resurrection of Patrick Pearse inspired by The Ratification of the Irish Treaty in the English House of Lords, 1921, John Lavery 1921
Cast (alphabetical order)
Lorna Brennan, Martin Brennan, John Canning, Maeve Delargy, Alan Grant, Julianna Gonzales, Roy Grimson, Orna McDonald, Brendan Phelan, Mike Timms, Brid Turner.
Tickets are also available for purchase at The National Gallery Shop, Phone : 01 663 3518 (subject to availability).
Advance purchase is highly recommended, based on the popularity of previous performances by Umbrella Theatre Company at the National Gallery of Ireland.