Actions and Detail Panel
Leading in Change and Complexity
Fri, April 7, 2017, 8:00 AM – 12:00 PM PDT
Today’s rapidly changing business environment requires a new approach leadership. This half-day workshop allows attendees to work hands on with three shifts in leadership that increase their ability to thrive in complexity:
1) From Directing Others to Enabling Others - When problems are complex, no single individual can see all of its parts. Leaders must shift their approach from directing work to enabling individuals and teams closest to the customer to do the work. The leader shifts to the role of coach and friction remover.
2) From Predicting to Experimenting - One of the definitions of complexity is that outcomes are not predictable. Leaders must shift from predicting and controlling, to experimenting and iterating in order to help their organizations thrive.
3) From Creating Followers to Creating Leaders - A traditional definition of the word leader is "one who people follow". While that approach to leadership can be successful in simple systems, when things are complex, everyone in an organization needs to be constantly growing towards greater capability to lead.
- Describe the three core skills of professional coaching: listening levels, blank access questions, and mirroring/reflecting
- Describe the benefits of a coaching approach to leadership vs a traditional "tell" approach
- Reframe business and change initiaves in the language of experimentation: hypothesis, experiments, and discoveries
- Choose approapriate constraints for a given experiment (time, people, cost, and benefit)
- Empower team members to present clear solutions and essential context to problems
- Describe the key factors that lead to higher workplace engagement and motivation
Peter Green is a leadership development coach, agile organization researcher and consultant, and a Certified Scrum Trainer. He spent 12 years at Adobe, where he led the Agile transformation that enabled the business model shift from perpetual license, long release desktop software products to subscription, frequestly released Creative Cloud products. During this time, he trained hundreds of teams, including flagships as Photoshop, Acrobat, and Premier Pro, and coached at all levels of the organization. Since joining Agile For All, Peter has worked with diverse set of clients helping them thrive in complexity - personally and organizationally.
Date and Time
University of San Diego
Kroc Institute for Peace and Justice (KIPJ), Room G
5998 Alcalá Park
San Diego, California 92110-2492