Actions and Detail Panel
Law Made Public - Free Legal Database Training - Downtown
Sat, April 29, 2017, 10:00 AM – 10:30 AM PDT
Law Made Public
Free Tutorials on Legal Databases at the San Diego Law Library
Feeling overwhelmed by legal research? Whether you're a landlord looking to evict a tenant, an entrepreneur starting a business, or representing yourself in a divorce, your life can be made a little bit easier if you know how to research with legal databases.
Here at the San Diego Law Library, we have access to a number of powerful legal databases that are freely available to the public. Learn how to make the most of our resources by attending one of our free Law Made Public classes.
Taking place in our Downtown location’s computer lab and taught by a reference librarian, these 15-30 minute sessions will provide you with the tools you need to perform legal research. Topics will include Lexis Advance 101, finding primary and secondary sources on Lexis, how to find forms, Shepardizing, an introduction to HeinOnline, and an overview of CEB OnLaw.
Saturday, March 11 @ 10AM: Finding Forms and Secondary Sources on Lexis Advance
- Learn about the collection of forms and secondary sources on Lexis
- Find resources by browsing or searching
Saturday, March 18 @ 10AM: Shepardizing on Lexis
- Is the case you're using still good law? Find out by Shepardizing
- Learn how to read a Shepard's report and Lexis shortcuts for Shepardizing
Saturday, March 25 @ 10AM: An Overview of HeinOnline
- Interested in legislative history or legal journals? HeinOnline is a great place to start!
- Overview of the resources available on HeinOnline and how it can be used in your research
Saturday, April 1 @ 10AM: Using CEB OnLaw
- Is the CEB you found in the library already checked out? Find out how to access the same title online!
- An overview of how to browse, search, retrieve, and print materials
Saturday, April 8 @ 10AM: Lexis 101
- Lexis Advance is one of the largest and most commonly used legal databases
- Learn the resources available on Lexis and some basic tips on how to research like the pros
Saturday, April 15 @ 10AM: Finding Primary Sources on Lexis
- Learn how to read a citation found in legal documents
- Find and review federal and state statutes and case law
No registration is necessary. Walk-ins are welcome.