San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
More than half of all Americans may develop diabetes or prediabetes by 2020, unless prevention strategies aimed at weight loss and increased physical activity are widely implemented. This program is a call to arms for Physicians, Healthcare Professionals and Community Leaders/Employers to “Know your epidemic enemy, Obesity"
-Discuss the trends and implications of Obesity in the Appalachia region and nation.
-Distinguish management differences between Pediatric and Adult obesity.
-Provide individually appropriate treatment options to obesity patients.
-Discuss disease aspects with patients in a respectful and dignified manner.
Who Should Attend:
Cardiologists, Family Physicians, OB/GYN, Psychiatrists, Nephrologists, Pediatricians, Cardio/thoracic Surgery, Internists/Hospitalists, Orthopaedic Surgeons, ENT, Nurse, Nurse Practitioners, Physician Assistants, Dieticians, PT and Respiratory Therapists, Social Workers, Chiropractors
Registration, Vendor Booths & Healthy Breakfast
Definition, Impact, Trends of Obesity (Collins Okolie, MD)
· Define and discuss obesity trends (BMI, smoking, diabetes)
· Recognize medical, economical, financial implications of obesity
· Discuss national and regional statistics of Obesity
Multifactoral Causes of Obesity (Dean Mikami, MD)
· Examine Genetics, Age, Gender
· Discuss Lifestyle & Environmental
· Assess Illness & Medication
Pediatric and Adult Management of Obesity (Amy Luckeydoo, MD)
· Recognize progress of childhood obesity
· Define contrasts in managing childhood vs. adult obesity
· Review the new NHLBI guidelines for the management of pediatric obesity
· Review of Lipid screening for peds
Impact of Adult Obesity in OB/GYN (Lisa Musolin, DO)
· Explain GYN complications for obese women
· Describe OB complications in conception and birthing
· Recognize obesity impact on chronic pain
500 Calorie Lunch, Vendor Booths, 4-square activity
Psychosocial Factors of Obesity (Kelly Piner, PhD)
· Address psychological factors of obesity
· Respectfully communicate disease aspects with patients & families
· Discuss Depression and Social Trends
Obesity Treatment Options and Referral: Panel
· General exercise regimen (Janey Richards, LAT, ATC)
· Bariatric & other surgical options (Dean Mikami, MD)
· Wellness & nutrition/Kidshape (Cathy Castillo, RD, LD)
· Behavioral approaches (Kelly Piner, PhD)
· Fad fitness (Dennis Hart, NMD, NCBS/CHE, NCTMB, LPC, FACW,)
Accreditation Statements and Disclosure
Adena Health System is accredited by the Ohio State Medical Association to provide continuing medical education for physicians. Adena Health System designates this educational activity for 5.5 AMA PRA Category 1 CreditsTM.
5.5 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits are applicable toward continuing education for nursing licensure.
This Live Activity, Know Your Epidemic Enemy with a beginning date of January 19, 2012, has been reviewed and is acceptable for up to 5.5 Prescribed credit(s) by the American Academy of Family Physicians. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
The Ohio State Chiropractic Board designates this CE for Category 5.5 DC credits.
This program is approved by the State of Ohio Counselor, Social Worker, and Marriage and Family Therapist Board. This session has been approved for 5.5 CEU hours.
Adena Health System is a BOC approved provider for ATC. OPTA and OT/PT CEU hours have been applied for.
Dietician CPE hours have been applied for through the American Dietetic Association.
There are no conflicts of commercial interest to disclose by speakers, planners, or CME Committee members.
When & Where
PACCAR Medical Education Center
Opened in September 2008, the PACCAR Medical Education Center is a dream that became a reality thanks to the cooperation of Adena, local, state, and federal officials, and the community. Through philanthropic grants, our community raised over $5 million to support the construction of the PACCAR Center while Adena Health System contributed $10 million.
The PACCAR Medical Education Center...bringing the future of medicine to Southern Ohio and beyond.