The Offa’s Dyke footpath is is a 182 miles, and is a cherished National Trail. Offa’s Dyke is an earthwork defence built by King Offa of Mercia in 780AD. It separated Mercia and Powys (to some extent what are England and Wales today). The race is a few miles longer, due to lead in and out of some checkpoint locations, so stands at 185 miles.
The 185 mile event has a 90 hour time limit, and the 100 mile event has a 42 hour time limit. It is not a multi-stage race. It can be tackled non-stop if you wish, though we expect most participants to enjoy some hours of rest and sleep at checkpoints along the way. All checkpoints will have food (hot food at most CPs) and drinks. You must carry mandatory kit with you at all times, but will have access to your drop bags along the route, and also your finish line bag will be waiting for you in Prestatyn.
The route passes through the Wye Valley AONB (Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty), then climbs the Black Mountain skirting the edge of the Brecon Beacons National Park, passes through the Shropshire Hills AONB and finally the Clwyidian Range and Dee Valley AONB. The scenery is outstanding, but hand in hand with that, the relentless hills are very demanding.
The 185 mile path features 9085 metres of elevation, which is an average of 50 metres per mile. In comparison, The Pennine Way has an average of just 42m of elevation per mile. One look at the elevation graph below should indicate just how much of a challenge this will be. Apart from one short 10 mile section, the razor-tooth profile tells you that you will be doing a great deal of climbing and descending.
The 100 mile route has 5500 metres of elevation.
- The 185 mile King Offa's Dyke Race costs £285. £50 is payable upon registration, and is non-refundable
- The 100 mile Mercian Way Challenge costs £145. £50 is payable upon registration, and is non-refundable
Entry includes the following:
- Indoor checkpoints (1 outdoor checkpoint - campsite). All with experienced volunteers
- All food and drink for the duration of the event (including hot food at virtually all checkpoints)
- Comprehensive paramedic support across the course by Ultramedix
- Live GPS tracking - by RaceDrone
- High quality technical fabric commemorative race shirt
- Award Trophy to all finishers
- Event fully insured
- Meal, shower and changing facilities at the finish in Prestatyn (no shower at 100 mile finish)
- Drop bag and end bag transport
- Comprehensive participant guide, emailed one month before the event
- Experienced Race Directors of over 25 acclaimed and respected ultra events in the last 5 years
Refund Policy: Because of the extreme nature of this event, it is very difficult to find replacements from wait list in the last few months for late withdrawals, so our refund policy will be strict
- You can sell your place privately at any time up to 2 weeks before the event. There is no admin fee to change the name of the runner
- Withdraw or defer more than 3 months before the race and you will lose only your original £50 deposit
- Withdraw or defer between 3 months and 1 month before the race and you will lose half of your entry fee (you are advised to sell your place privately)
- No withdrawals or deferrals inside the last month (you are advised to sell your place privately)