North Seattle College, Education Building, Room ED843A--Closest Parking is East Lot
This presentation is designed for ESL teachers who want to expand their knowledge of current issues in the teaching and learning of vocabulary. Questions to be covered include:
- What is ESL vocabulary?
- How many “words” do ESL students need to know?
- Which is better: intentional learning or incidental acquisition?
- How many words can learners remember at a time?
- What can teachers and materials do to help learners retain vocabulary?
- What about idioms?
- What are collocations?
- How can teachers know whether a word is worth teaching?
- How can teachers know the real usage of a word?
- What are good ways to introduce new vocabulary?
- What are good ways to practice new vocabulary?
Dr. Keith Folse, Professor of TESOL at the University of Central Florida, has taught ESL in the US and EFL in Saudi Arabia, Malaysia, Kuwait, and Japan. He is the author of 63 books, including 2nd Edition of Keys to Teaching Grammar to English Language Learners and the Clear Grammar series. Dr. Folse has published articles on language teaching and his second language research in TESOL Quarterly, CATESOL Journal, TESL Reporter, Language Teacher (JALT), Perspectives (TESOL Arabia), Sunshine State TESOL Journal, TESOL Matters, and Modern English Teacher. His main research areas are grammar and vocabulary and how the two are related in learning a second language.
Price: $60.00 + Eventbrite fees (3 ticket max)
- If you are purchasing multiple tickets please make sure to include name and contact info for all attendees so we can ensure everyone receives future updates on location, parking, or post-workshop follow-up emails.
- If you are a company, college, or school who wishes to purchases more than 3 tickets for employees please inquire directly with the S-TESL office at 206-781-8607.
Refunds may be granted upon request up until one week prior to the event. Refunds after this deadline may be entertained if the event is full and there are others on the official waitlist who can take your place. Inquire directly with S-TESL if you have questions.