Actions and Detail Panel
[KASD2017] Food sorting in San Jose, CA
Sat, April 22, 2017, 9:00 AM – 12:00 PM PDT
Based in Silicon Valley, Second Harvest Food Bank of Santa Clara is one of the largest food banks in the nation. Currently providing food to more than one quarter of a million people every month, Second Harvest is a trusted community-based organization that was founded in 1974. Despite the immense wealth in Silicon Valley, and partly due to the high cost of living, hunger and malnutrition are pervasive. The Food Bank distributes nutritious food, including more fresh produce than any other food bank in the country, through a network of over 320 nonprofit partners at more than 850 sites. Volunteers will help with food sorting at one of the warehouses!
- The minimum age is 14. Please remember that the Food Bank is a warehouse, and there is always warehouse equipment in operation.
- Youth volunteers ages 14 through 15 must be accompanied by one adult over the age of 21 for every 5 youths.
- Youth volunteers ages 16 through 17 must be accompanied by one adult over the age of 21 for every 10 youths.
- Comfortable, safe footwear is absolutely required: sneakers, work shoes, or boots. Volunteers wearing high heels, open-toed shoes, or sandals will not be allowed to volunteer.
- Long pants only and no tank tops.
- Layers are suggested, as are jeans, sweatshirts, etc.
- No bare arms or shorts.
All volunteers will be asked to sign a volunteer agreement form upon arrival.