About this event
A free event for people who are underrepresented in tech to learn how to create web applications using the Ruby on Rails framework.
What will I learn?
The workshop will teach the basics of creating a web application in the Ruby on Rails framework.
Over the course of the workshop, we will cover:
- What happens when a browser requests a dynamic web page?
- What is a web framework? Why would you want one?
- Dividing up code responsibilities with the Model, View, Controller architecture
- Saving data in a database with Rails' object-relational mapper
HTML and CSS will NOT be covered.
Who should attend?
Total programming novices, web designers, system administrators, and developers of other languages are welcome to attend.
There is no age restriction, but if you're under 18 and would like to attend, please bring an adult.
Parents: If you cannot find a babysitter for that weekend, we can provide free onsite childcare through Sitter City. A huge thanks to thoughtbot for this opportunity!
What if I already know some Rails?
Experienced programmers should note that the class is geared to beginners. If you've completed the Hartl tutorial, you've gone well past what we'll cover.
Consider coming to Boston Ruby's monthly Project Night instead. There are many friendly Rubyists available to help you over configuration bumps and answer questions.
Day 1 - Friday (6:30pm - 9pm)
1) Sign in & Dinner
2) Quick Intro
3) Students install Ruby & a few other tools
4) Intro to the Ruby programming language
Day 2 - Saturday (9:30am - 5pm)
1) Breakfast & Sign in
2) Welcome & Announcements
3) Ruby on Rails basics
5) More Rails concepts
6) Breakout sessions
7) Wrap up
8) Post-workshop celebration!