Jeffco Open Space Nature Journal Club: Sketching Raptors
Want to deepen your love of the natural world, notice nature’s tiniest details and spend time surrounded by the beauty of the outdoors? Then start keeping a sketchbook nature journal! Join us for a free journaling field trip in a Jeffco Open Space Park each month and make this activity a habit.
In the spring, raptors can be seen soaring over Matthews Winters Park on their migration route along the Dakota hogback. Learn how to quickly draw these fascinating birds in the field while also discovering more about their natural history and how to identify them. We will also enjoy a trailside potluck lunch.
All ages. Instruction will be geared for adults, but children who are interested in art are welcome to attend with an adult. Parents, please make sure to monitor your children's energy and interest levels during club outings to ensure that their behavior is conducive to a positive learning environment for everyone.
You will meet the educator at the park kiosk for Deer Creek Canyon Park.
We will stage the program in the picnic area and participants can explore nearby areas with their journals.
Dress for the weather. March could still be chilly.
Please bring the following items:
- Your own sketchbook, a pencil and any other art supplies you would like to use. We will also have some art materials to share
- An item to share at our potluck lunch. We will be outdoors so no electric outlets are available.
- A bowl, spoon and fork (we will have some paper plates and plastic utensils available, but bringing your own reusable ones helps us reduce waste)
- A backpack or shoulder bag to carry your supplies
- A portable chair, stool or sitting pad (Though we will be indoors, one of these will be nice to have if you want to draw mammals in the exhibit area.)
Also, please join the Jeffco Open Space Nature Journal Club Facebook page if you are interested. The page is a great place to find out about club happenings, share your sketches and journal pages, arrange carpools (in the summer trailheads will start to get packed) and chat with each other.
Registration for this program is available one month before the date of the program. If you are registering during this time, but space is no longer available, please call Lookout Mountain Nature Center at 720-497-7600 to be placed on a waiting list.
Already registered and need to cancel? Have questions about the program? Please give us a call at 720-497-7600 or e-mail email@example.com to let us know! You can also click the Contact Lookout Mountain Nature Center link below to send us a message. Please include the program title.
Office hours are 9:00 am to 4:00 pm Tuesday - Sunday, inquiries made after 4 pm may not be answered until the following day. LMNC is closed on Mondays.