Actions and Detail Panel
ISSA-LV Quarterly Meeting - Beating the Resume Robots & The Shifting Cyber...
Wed, April 12, 2017, 11:30 AM – 1:00 PM PDT
Short Description of Presentation:
It is an exciting time to work in cyber security with so many different cyber career paths to choose from, a variety of cyber security certifications, new cyber talent entering the field, and yet so much opportunity to shift the cyber security recruiting and hiring education paradigm. How do you make sense of it all and build a resume that beats the robots? The presenter spent six (6) long years living inside REDDIT, in the HR / Recruiting forums, writing down every resume tip and explanation of how these resume robots operate to better understand the system. This presentation will examine several unique and innovative ways that you can beat the resume robots, develop better HR partnerships, and build synergy to bridge the cybersecurity resume/talent gap to shift the cybersecurity education paradigm.
Abstract: (outline) for Presentation:
- Introduce my cyber background, cyber mission and current cyber priorities
- Explain the contextual landscape of the state of Cyber Security resumes and education (the chain reactions that are driving cyber security hiring and education)
- Dive into the evolution of cyber security combat (the current state of hacker for hire services, nation states and extinction level attacks that are driving cyber security awareness and education)
- Explain the current state of cyber security recruiting, hiring, resume robots, and Applicant tracking systems (including the state of Human Resources recruiting, applicant tracking systems, resume robots, and how it all works)
- Dive into the cyber resume robots and cyber education paradigm shift by looking at the current and future state of ‘Experiential layer‘ cyber security awareness and education
- Open the floor to Q&A
Matt Heff has been stopping cyber criminals since 1998. In January 2016, Heff joined Sands Corp as their Senior Manager of Global Cyber Security - responsible for training, awareness, and developing their world-class cyber security team. This includes the Venetian and Palazzo Resorts in Las Vegas, in addition to properties globally from Macau to Singapore and now Pennsylvania. He trains and develops a variety of Sands cyber security professionals on a variety of subjects including cyber security Operations, Digital Forensics Investigations, Cyber Strategy, Governance & Risk, Vulnerability Management, Penetration Testing, Incident Response, Security Architects and Engineers. In addition, he develops and promotes cyber security awareness for 60,000+ team members worldwide.
Most recently, he spoke on “Counter Intelligence and Insider Threats” at the December 2016 Department of Homeland Security Corporate Security Symposium. In January of 2017, Heff presented at the Winter ICT Conference on “Building Synergy and Partnerships between Academia and Industry” In April 2017, Heff will be presenting at the Las Vegas Camp IT Conference, and he is also scheduled to give the keynote at the 21st Colloquium For Information Systems Security Education in May 2017.
Prior to joining Sands Corp, Heff developed and facilitated cyber security awareness programs as well as corporate learning and development programs for TJ Maxx / Marshalls, Caesars Entertainment, and General Electric. Heff comes from a family of educators & trainers, growing up in a house where the family dinner conversations revolved around the best methods for teaching and educating students and adults. He is passionate about combining academia in partnership with industry to develop programs which ensure the next generation of cybersecurity warriors are combat ready & can successfully defeat the cyber criminals.