IRRI and SMART present: BIGAS Hackathon
Saturday, November 10, 2012 at 11:00 AM - Sunday, November 11, 2012 at 2:00 PM (PST)
San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
BIGAS Hackathon is a two-day developer event and hackathon hosted by the International Rice Research Institute (IRRI) and Smart Communications, Inc.(Smart) and powered by SMART Developer Network (SMART DevNet), the developer community for Smart's technology platform. We're inviting existing and aspiring developers to create a web and/or mobile app that can be used to further enhance the impact of IRRI technologies especially in their delivery to farmers.
We’re looking for web and mobile apps which could help solve some of IRRI’s toughest problems, innovative solutions in many aspects of rice research, ranging from complex computational problems to the creative use of games and social networking:
· Improving the collection and study of research data
· Providing information and/or technologies to farmers or extension workers
· Indexing library and other institute data
· Improving institute processes and procedures
· Storing survey data better, or speeding up survey data processing
· Designing a digital moisture meter etc.
BIGAS Hackathon is open to all developers especially those based in Laguna and nearby cities and provinces. This is a FREE event, no charge for admission, but registration is required. Transportation (bus from Makati to IRRI), food and accomodation will be provided for FREE for registered participants only.
IRRI, Smart team up to find best agri apps
Race for rice apps (IRRI-Smart Bigas Hackathon)
HOW TO REGISTER FOR THE EVENT
1. Register via the Eventbrite page. http://bigashackathon.eventbrite.com
2. Join our Facebook group at http://facebook.com/groups/smartdevnet to get more info about the event as these are announced.
HOW TO JOIN THE HACKATHON
1. Form a team of 2-4 members in advance. If you don't have a team going to the hackathon, you are encouraged to find other hackathoners who don't have any teams yet. If you still don't have a team just before the hackathon begins, the organizers wil try to find you a team. A team must have a minimum of two members.
2. Join our Facebook Group at https://facebook.com/groups/smartdevnet/ - we will be announcing a Hackathon Signup page here where you will need to provide details of a) your app name and description, b) the team name, and c) your team members.
3. Get ready with your ideas for your app. Teams are allowed to have pre-work. You can also start working on your app on the day of the hackathon itself.
4. At the end of the hackathon, all the groups registered for the hackathon will need to present their app via a live demo. The order of the presentations will be drawn by lots. Teams who are not registered cannot do a live demo and will not be eligible for any of the prizes.
5. We encourage everyone to join a team - even if you registered just to observe, you are strongly encouraged to be a participant-observer.
November 10, 2012 (Saturday)
0930-1000am Smart Live More Bus leaves Makati to shuttle NCR-based participants for free to IRRI
(Pick-up point at Smart Tower Valero Exit at Valero Access Road, Makati City)
1100-1200nn Registration @ IRRI Library
1200-0100pm LUNCH @ Harrar Hall
0100-0110pm ORIENTATION @ Havener Auditorium
Welcome Remarks: Dr. V. Bruce Tolentino, IRRI Deputy Director General- Partnerships and Communications
0110-0120pm Smart’s Corporate Social Responsibility Programs (Steph Orlino, Smart)
0120-0130pm About Smart DevNet (Paul Pajo, Smart)
0130-0145pm Smart APIs (Grace Valencia and Smart DevNet team)
0145-0150pm Talk about IdeaSpace (Dustin Masancay, Smart)
0150-0250pm IRRI Presentation of Problems/Challenges
0250-0300pm Hackathon Overview and Mechanics
0315pm onwards HACKATHON PROPER @ IRRI Library
DINNER @ Harrar Hall
FREE Lodging at Boy Scout of the Philippines (BSP) Hotel for the night for REGISTERED participants only. Participants pick up and drop off to accommodation 11PM-1AM
(Bring toiletries and towel)
November 11, 2012 (Sunday)
0600-0730am BREAKFAST @ BSP Hotel
0800-1000am Continuation of HACKATHON
1000-1200nn Presentations @ IRRI Auditorium
1200-0100pm LUNCH @ Harrar Hall / Judging & Deliberations
0130pm Closing Remarks: Dr. Robert Zeigler, IRRI Director General
0200 pm Smart Live More Bus leaves IRRI to shuttle participants back to Smart Tower, Makati for FREE
Emcee: Marco van den Berg (IRRI Chief Information Officer)
BIGAS Hackathon is open to all developers of all ages.
• At the end of the hackathon proper, teams will do a live demo of their apps.
• The app can optionally use the SMART APIs either as concept and/or prototype
• Teams will undergo final judging by presenting their project to a panel of judges who will identify the winners.
• All decisions of judges are final. Scores will not be made public.
• Prizes will be awarded to the winning teams! Awesome freebies will be given to all registered participants.
Best Game App - Phones and Plug-its
Best Research Data Collection App - Phones and Plug-its
Best Farmer InfoTechnology App - Phones and Plug-its
Most Innovative App / Special Jury Award - Phones and Plug-its
Special IdeaSpace Prize (Php10,000) - This prize will only be unlocked if ten (10) teams will actually manually submit to the IdeaSpace National Competition during the hackathon dates. The team with the highest score on the market need criteria will win this prize, http://ideaspace.ph/.
• Teams are expected to bring their own laptops. Internet access will be provided at the venue.
• The order of presentation will be determined by drawing lots.
• Each presenter is given three (3) minutes to explain the entry and two (2) minutes to answer questions during the Q&A.
The app can be web based, mobile based or both & functionality is preferred.
•An App that people want - 25% (convince us market NEED for your app)
•An App whose time has come - 25% (convince us of the app's TIMING)
•An App that's clever (really!) - 25% (convince us of the app's INGENUITY)
•An App that's properly mashed-up - 25% (convince us of the app's INTEGRATION)
The team warrants that the entry is their original idea and does not infringe on the intellectual property rights of any third party. Participants are responsible for securing appropriate protection for any Intellectual Property (IP) contributed by the team members or their parent institutions. In the absence of such protection, participants should restrict themselves to non-enabling disclosures of their IP. Entries that have won major awards (1st, 2nd, 3rd) in any international, national or school competitions cannot be entered. Wireless service applications that are already in commercial production may not be entered. International Rice Research Institute (IRRI) and Smart Communications, Inc. (SMART) shall not be liable to any participant for commercializing ideas that have been independently developed but are similar in concept to submitted entries.
Participants agree to abide by the terms of these Official Mechanics and by the decisions of the organizers and/or the judges, which are final and binding on all matters pertaining to this contest. By joining the contest, the participants agree to waive any right to claim ambiguity or error in these Official Mechanics. Except where prohibited by law, the winners consent to the use of their name and/or likeness by IRRI and SMART for advertising and publicity purposes without compensation.
Each participant agrees that IRRI and SMART and its parent companies, agents, representatives, affiliates, and employees will have no liability whatsoever for any injuries, losses, or damages of any kind resulting from his/her participation in the contest, or resulting from the acceptance, possession, or use of these prizes, nor in any way are responsible for any warranty, representation, or guaranty, express or implied, in fact or in law, relative to any prize, including but not limited to the quality, condition, or fitness.
Each participant agrees that IRRI and SMART and its parent company, agents, representatives, subsidiaries, affiliates, and employees will have no liability whatsoever for any injury, loss, or damages of any kind resulting from the use of the entry, unless such entry has been formally offered by IRRI and SMART to the public as a service or a product. Each participant warrants that it holds the necessary intellectual property right(s) over the entry, undertakes sole responsibility for any adverse or infringement claim(s) thereon, and further holds IRRI and SMART, its directors, officers, employees, agents, parent company subsidiaries and affiliates free from any liability arising out of such adverse or infringement claim(s) including claim(s) for damages.
When & Where
IRRI and SMART
IRRI, or the International Rice Research Institute, is a nonprofit independent research and training organization. IRRI is a member of the CGIAR Consortium.
IRRI develops new rice varieties and rice crop management techniques that help rice farmers improve the yield and quality of their rice in an environmentally sustainable way. We work with our public and private sector partners in national agricultural research and extension systems in major rice-growing countries to do research, training, and knowledge transfer. Our social and economic research also informs governments to help them formulate policy to improve the equitable supply of rice.
Smart Communications, Inc. (Smart) is the Philippines' leading wireless services provider with 50.9 million subscribers on its GSM network as of end-June 2012. Smart has built a reputation for innovation, having introduced world-first wireless data services, such as Smart Money, Smart Load, Smart Padala and the Netphone. Smart also offers 3G and HSPA+ services, and the country’s first and only LTE network. Its Smart Link service provides communications to the global maritime industry. Smart Broadband, Inc., a wholly-owned subsidiary, offers a wireless broadband service, Smart Broadband, with over 1.63 million subscribers as of end-June 2012. Smart is a wholly-owned subsidiary of the Philippines' leading telecommunications carrier, the Philippine Long Distance Telephone Company. For more information, visit www.smart.com.ph.
The SMART Developer Network (also known as SMART DevNet) is SMART Communications' developer community program, targeted at developers on desktop and mobile platforms interested in using SMART's technology platforms such as network tools and APIs.
SMART DevNet promotes general awareness of mobile apps development and "technopreneurship" thorough related groups like the IdeaSpace Foundation.
SMART DevNet also strives to be a catalyst for fostering a vibrant developer community in the Philippines by organizing our own developer events as well as sponsoring other developer groups' events and meetups. SMART DevNet believe a good local developer community is an integral part of a healthy tech ecosystem.s
Members of SMART DevNet can participate in events and meet ups, interact with a developer community, join hackathons and developer competitions, attend tech bootcamps, and have the option of engaging in business opportunities with SMART.
The SMART Developer Network is open to all interested individuals throughout the Philippines.
For information, email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit our social media touchpoints: