Actions and Detail Panel
Investigating Suicide and Self-Harm Death
Fri, September 15, 2017, 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM CDT
Each participant will receive a manual and certificate of completion. This course is accredited by Missouri POST, ABMDI, and ACFEI.
Why Attend This Course
This course is an advanced course in the investigation of suicide and self harm death. The course is specifically designed for patrol officers and investigators who have the duties of responding to and/ or investigating death.
The course assumes the students basic understanding of a crime scene and basic evidence collection methods. It goes beyond the preliminary death scene and targets what suicide deaths are and what they are not. It also gives insight into the mental aspect of suicide and self harm behaviors. Participants will learn how to evaluate a scene, obtain evidence specific to making a determination of suicide, as well as how to properly document the scene and obtain vital victim history information and family statements.
Specific causes of suicide deaths covered are self inflicted gun shot wounds, hanging and asphyxia deaths, drug overdose, Helium inhalation deaths, planned and assisted suicides, chemical suicides, and how to interpret and investigate and autoerotic fatality.
Students will learn the best practices and standards of investigating suicides and self-harm deaths. This course is not intended to set department policy, but rather focuses in on generally approved methods of criminal investigations as it applies to a death scene involving the possibility of suicide and self-harm.
Each participant will receive a manual designed to be used as a reference guide when assigned to this type of death. Each manual contains all information covered in the course as well as important forms and diagrams that can be used during the investigation.
This course qualifies for 8 – technical hours of POST accredited CEU training.
Who Should Attend This Course
- Law Enforcement Patrol Officers
- Law Enforcement Investigators
- Medicolegal Death Investigators
- Private Legal Investigators
After completing this course of instruction, participants will be better equipped to:
- Define the proper definition of suicide
- List the three implications of a suicide ruling as a cause of death
- List the three components of the investigative triangle
- Explain what the most important evidence of any death scene is
- Explain why gin shot injures will be the most common suicide scene worked
- Define “froth cone” and what causes it in overdose deaths
- Explain how Helium Suicides are carried out
- Define Chemical Suicide
- Define the hazardous nature of responding to a chemical suicide call.
- List the steps in safely responding to a call involving chemical suicide
- Explain the definition of Autoerotic deaths
- Know the two classifications of autoerotic deaths
- Recognize the 15 scene features present in these deaths
- Know the most common for of autoerotic cause of death
- Know the four basic methods of asphyxiation
- Define the agonal sequence in hanging deaths
- Explain why crime scene work is so vital in these types of deaths
- Know the basic of scene interpretation
- Know the process of collecting evidence from the body
- Explain the importance of and the process to; a proper history investigation
- List the three components in the history investigation
- Explain the need to look for scene alterations
- Explain why the psychology of the victim is important
- Define the meaning of “paraphilia”
How can I contact the organizer with any questions?
Contact the organizer of this event at email@example.com or call 1-888-556-0177
Can I pay by check or purchase order?
Yes - If your agency or government body wishes to register and pay by check or purchase order, contact the organizer directly for registration form and mailing instructions. firstname.lastname@example.org
What's the refund policy?
A full refund will be given up to 45 days prior to the event, if less than 45 days prior to start of the event, credit will be given toward this - or other course in the future with one year.
Lodging and Hotels
Our preferred Hotel provider is Super 8 Hotel. Their phone number is 573-885-2087. When making reservations use reservation code (criminal and death investigation course) to get the program price.
If your agency would like to purchase an all-inclusive package of hotel and meal options in advance, contact the organizer of the event and work through those details. This can be a nice option because participants will receive a packet at check in with all meal vouchers and options for some of the best dinning in the area, all at what will be less expensive than individual purchases. Contact for details and package quote.
Is the training held within walking distance of any hotel?
What is the nearest Airport
The nearest airport is Lambert Field in St. Louis Missouri.
Transportation from Airport
We have made arrangements with a transport company to provide round trip transportation from airport to training site and back to airport, which is about 80 miles, for $175. This is less than car rental and daily transportation to training from hotel will be provided if needed. The shuttle times are 10am and 6pm.
Prior arrangments and details must be worked out ahead of time and flights must be made accordingly. Shuttle times outside of these two specified times will incure an additional cost. To make shuttle arrangments or to find out more details, contact us at email@example.com.