Introduction to Modern Perl // TECH 216
John Napiorkowski, Software Engineer, Shutterstock
This 8-week series starts Thursday, October 27th from 6:00 - 8:00 pm, and meets at the same time for 7 more weeks. Students are welcome to register for individual sessions, or join the series once it's in progress.
Learn Modern Perl, the “glue of the internet,” used for system administration and backend web development in an 8-week course taught by Shutterstock. Perl has come a long way since the 90s with object-oriented programming, MVC frameworks (similar to Ruby on Rails), and plenty of new tools to rival Python, Ruby or any other high-level language.
This course is for beginners, and will teach students the ins and outs of Perl, how to develop their own scripts and web applications, and tie those into social media using the Facebook API and others. If you’re even thinking about becoming a sys-admin/devops or a web developer, learn Perl and stand out. For more reasons visit the instructor’s post, Why Perl?
Lesson Five - Building Modern Web Applications with Perl (12/1)
- Plack - Perl Superglue for the Internet
- Web Application Basics - Hello World
- Web Templates
Lesson Six - Advanced Web Applications (12/8)
- Introduction to Web Development Frameworks
- Advanced User Interfaces - Forms and Input
- Testing your Web Application
Lesson Seven - Perl for the Social Web (12/15)
- Facebook API
- Shutterstock API, and more!
Lesson Eight - Joining the Perl Community (12/22)
- Coding for CPAN - Let’s get published!
- Final Lab Exercises
Can't make it? Sign up at http://generalassemb.ly to stay in the loop on future events and classes.
Lesson One - Use Perl Now! (10/27)
- Perl Philosophy
- Recent History
- Installing Perl and Using CPAN
- Three Super Cool things you can do with Modern Perl Right Now
Lesson Two - Introducing Modern Perl (11/3)
- Basic Language Syntax
- Built-In Datatypes and Common Extensions
- Objects - Core
- Writing Code like a Perl Monger - Common idioms
Lesson Three - More Modern Perl (11/10)
- Objects - Moose
- Task::Kensho - A glimpse of Enlighten Perl Development
- Language Features to Avoid
Lesson Four - Building a Modern Perl Application (11/17)
- Introduction to Building Applications like a Perl Monger
- Organizing your Application - Class Structure, Testing, Configuration
- Interacting with the Database
- Building Test Cases
General Assembly is a campus for technology, design, and entrepreneurship. We provide educational programming, space, and support to facilitate collaborative practices and learning opportunities across a community inspired by the entrepreneurial experience.
In order to purchase these tickets in installments, you'll need an Eventbrite account. Log in or sign up for a free account to continue.