San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
Twisted is a robust, mature, open source event-driven networking framework written in Python. Supported features range from low-level network transports such as TCP, SSL, UDP, and multicast, to high-level protocols including HTTP, DNS, SSH, SMTP and IMAP. Twisted is used by companies large and small, including Apple, Justin.tv, Canonical (makers of Ubuntu) and TweetDeck, and by open source projects like Tahoe-LAFS.
If you want to build reliable, well-tested network applications in Python, Twisted may be the tool you need. In this two-day class we will cover the basic principles and core APIs of Twisted. Covered material will include
- Understanding Event Loops: we'll re-implement Twisted's core APIs step-by-step (reactor, transport, protocol), explaining the why and how of event-driven networking.
- TCP Clients and Servers.
- Scheduling Timed Events.
- Deferreds: the motivation and uses of Twisted's result callback abstraction.
- Producers and Consumers: dealing with large amounts of data.
- Unit Testing: how to test your networking code.
- A large, self-paced exercise, implementing a HTTP server and client from scratch using pre-written unit tests as guidance, and our help as needed.
Got questions? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Jean-Paul Calderone has consulted for Fortune 500 companies, startups and research institutions. He has taught Twisted tutorials at PyCon, Fluendo SA in Barcelona, and Rackspace Inc. Jean-Paul has been one of the core Twisted maintainers since 2002, and is the maintainer of pyOpenSSL.
Itamar Turner-Trauring spent many years working on distributed applications as part of ITA Software by Google's airline reservation system, coding in Python (often using Twisted), C++ and a little bit of Common Lisp. Itamar has also worked on projects ranging from a reliable multicast messaging system with congestion control, a prototype-based configuration language, to a multimedia kiosk for a museum. Itamar has been one of the core Twisted maintainers since 2001.