Crochet is a quick, easy, and accessible medium for making squishy 3D models of almost any imaginable object. In this four-hour beginner workshop, we'll learn fundamental crochet stitches, how to read patterns, and good crochet form. Students will leave with their own crocheted jellyfish, constructed tentacles-to-bell as students' skills grow. This class is intended as preparation for the Sculptural Crochet workshop offering on 3/23.
- Competency in basic crochet stitches
- Proficiency in reading simple patterns
- A squishy jellyfish of your very own to take home!
Hooks and small balls of yarn will be available for purchase from the instructor for students who need.
What to Bring:
Your own crochet hooks and yarn, or $3 to cover the cost of materials.
Jessica Polka (jpolka.blogspot.com) is a biologist and designer of soft sculpture. A recent transplant from San Francisco to Cambridge, she is the author of 75 Seashells, Fish, Coral & Colorful Marine Life to Knit & Crochet (St. Martin’s Griffin, 2012) and her crocheted natural history specimens have been featured in shops and galleries worldwide.
Saturday, March 16, 1PM - 5PM
When & Where
Artisan's Asylum, Inc.
Artisan's Asylum is a 40,000 sq. ft. member-based non-profit community fabrication center located in Somerville MA, dedicated to making creativity a way of life. Our mission is to support and promote the teaching, learning and practicing of design & fabrication by offering:
* Shared design and fabrication tools and equipment in our various community workshops.
* A large range of publicly-accessible classes offered by local artisans.
* Various monthly membership structures allowing access to our facility.
* On-site studio and storage rentals allowing members to create and store projects on-site.
* Hosting local craft-related events to help encourage DIY culture and community craftsmanship.