Intro to GEO PDF Maps
What’s a Geo PDF map? How do you use it? A Geo PDF map is a map you download and store on your smart phone. Use the free app called PDFMaps to view and navigate from the stored map in your phone. Use it on hikes or bike rides to log your distance, start time, duration, and more.
You don’t need wi-fi or a data connection once the app is installed. It uses your phone’s GPS feature so it works even if you are out of range of mobile phone service. Meet at the Visitor Center to see a slideshow and find out how to obtain a copy of a Geo PDF map of the Don Edwards SF Bay National Wildlife Refuge. A live demonstration will follow. Led by docent Gregg Aronson.
Please go to your app store and download the FREE Avenza app prior to coming to the program. There is no wi-fi at the refuge. Then, download these maps onto your phone.
- Go to https://www.fws.gov/refuge/Don_Edwards_San_Francisco_Bay
- Tap on Maps on the right column
- Scroll down on the page and tap on one of the GeoPDF maps
- After it downloads, tap on the map and tap "More" on the upper left
- Select the Import with Avenza Maps