Hello International Friend of Gent!
- Do you live in Gent?
- Are you originally from another country? Or a Belgian who loves to meet people from all around the world?
If Yes then you are an international friend of Gent and you are very welcome to join us for the next Expat Event organized by Community Gent.
Book the date in your calendar and register by hitting the green button!
***PLEASE READ: There is a limited amount of place available! Only register if you are sure you can make it - and cancel your ticket if your plans change - this way someone else who want to come can take your place. See instructions how to edit your ticket under FAQ at the end of the page.
About the event
Moving to a new city and working with an unfamiliar system and new culture has its perks, but there’s also a lot of challenges to overcome. A new language, cultural differences and a lack of information about services limit the ways you can engage with your new community. This event will focus on the challenges of working and living in Gent as a non-native, whether you are new in town or have been here for a while.
- 19h00 Registration
- 19h25 Welcome & Guitar duo introduction
- 19h30 Guitar duo performance by Pablo & Miguel
- ***Please note: There is NO entrance to event during the concert between 19h30 and 19h50
- Pablo Ortiz is from Mexico and plays in the Dutch band Flairck (read more and listen to a sample here).
- Miguel Miguez is from Portugal and is a former member of the Portuguese band Big Fat Mamma.
- 19h50 Community Gent intro by Bart Vandesompele, Managing Director
- 19h55 Welcome to International Friends of Gent by Jenny Bjorklof, part of the Expat team of Community Gent
- 20h00 Els Uytterhoeven, Citymarketing Stad Gent: presents the new Stad Gent web guide which will be available in English with
- 20h10 See the results of the expat survey covering the top 5 challenges for expats in Gent with Heather Sills & Nina Jere + Host intros: individuals and representatives from various organizations who can answer all your burning questions about living and working in Gent. See confirmed hosts below.
- 20h20 Speed dating begins with the hosts and Gentse Belleman
- 21h00 Mingle with other international friends over a drankje and a hapje...
- 22h30 Event ends and it's time to go home...
Moving to Gent & practical arrangements
- City of Ghent - International Relations & Networking - Digital welcome guide in English
- Relocation Belgium
- Banking: BNP Paribas Fortis
- Health insurance: Partena Ziekenfonds
Living in Gent
- Belgian Cooking Classes
- Business club: International Club of Flanders
- Parenting in Gent: Gentse Spruiten
- Volunteer: Gent4Humanity Calais refugee support
- Community Gent: A meeting place for people and organizations with the goal to make Gent an even nicer place to live and work in
- City of Ghent - Sportdienst
- Ask Me Anything: sessions with senior expats
Learning Dutch in Gent
- Taalcafé Macharius: Biweekly meetings for international (language) exchange
- Huis van het Nederlands
- University Language Centre
- Berlitz Language Center Ghent - providing also private Dutch lessons
- VDAB: NT2: Dutch as second language
Working in Gent
- Look for a job: Co-Searching, Talentree and VDAB
- Multilingual jobs: Showpad, Teamleader
- Start a business: Partena Professional (administrative information) + Entrepreneurs Anonymous (monthly networking events among entrepreneneurs in English)
Studying in Gent
- Study advice: De Stap
- Gent University & Post Doc Community
- Vlerick Business School
- For kids: International School of Ghent
You also get a free edition of the newspaper Flanders Today at the event and a goodie bag!
Register now by clicking the green button, and get more information closer to the event.
You can also follow the event on Facebook
I can't make it to the event, how can I cancel my ticket and leave room for someone else to come?
You can easily cancel your ticket in the ticketing system: Log in to your account on eventbrite.com, click on your name at the upper right corner -> Choose Tickets -> Press "Cancel Ticket"
Alternatively contact the organizer firstname.lastname@example.org
Bijloke is big, how do I find the right venue?
We are in Foyer Noord, number 1 on the map. We will have signs guiding you to the right place
What are my transport/parking options getting to the event?
Ideally, come by foot, bike or public transport as the is only paid street parking with limited places available around the Bijloke site - with plenty of construction work going on in the area causing traffic delay.
Where can I contact the organizer with any questions?
Community Gent: email@example.com
Is my registration/ticket transferrable?
Yes, but please change the name on the ticket as you will get a name sign based on your registration when you check in at the event
Log into your account on Eventbrite.com, click on your name at the upper right corner -> Choose Tickets -> Press Edit
How is this event free to attend?
The event is made possible by the hard work of volunteers of the working groups of Community Gent planning, organizing and executing the events in their free time. The board of Community Gent, the partners and members supports the event with financial resources, event space, expertise, material etc. See the involved stakeholders at www.decommunity.be