An InstallFest is the perfect opportunity for you to try out Linux on your computer and see what others are doing with Linux. Those who just want to see what Linux is about can enjoy the free classes. Others may attend to install Linux on their computers. No experience with Linux or computers is required. This event is free and open to the general public.
At the InstallFest you can...
- Bring in your computer from home and install Linux with the help of the area's leading experts. Help with configuring additional hardware or software on a pre-installed Linux machine is also available.
- Get a free copy of Linux that you can take home and experiment with on your own time and at your own pace.
- Play family-safe free games that you can take home and use on your own computer.
- See what others are doing with Linux and free software in your area.
- Learn how Linux and free software can help your home, non-profit, or business.
- Get advice on how to get started on Linux on your desktop, laptop, or server when you are ready.
All of this is FREE!
Free classes - No experience required!
The basics of how to use Linux as a desktop will be demonstrated.
All ages welcome.
Web browsing, Word Processing, Image Editing, Games and More!
Those attempting an install
Bring your computer, monitor, keyboard, mouse, and power cables. A computer that is less than 5 years old with a CDROM drive and network card is highly recommended.
A wired network will be provided for those who are installing or configuring free and open source software. Wireless internet will also be available in the auditorium.
Show up sooner rather than later allow yourself enough time to accomplish a complete install. The last install will start at 2:30 P.M. We will be closing down the network and cleaning up starting at 4:30 P.M. so we can be out of the building by 5 P.M.
If you are bringing bulky/heavy hardware, pull your car into the school driveway and drive around the back to the basketball court. There is an access ramp there leading to the auditorium. This area is for loading and unloading only, so move your car back to a legal parking space on the street once you've gotten your stuff in the building.
When & Where
Western PA Linux User Group
Welcome to the Western Pennsylvania Linux Users Group. We are a not-for-profit organization based in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania that provides collaboration resources, including mailing lists, monthly presentations and quarterly installfests, for Linux users of all backgrounds.