Innovating for People: Human-Centered Design Workshop
San Francisco, CA
This 2-day workshop introduces participants to the discipline of Human-Centered Design as a driver of innovation. It covers an essential set of methods for developing solutions in the service of people.
Through a dynamic mix of short lectures and hands-on activities, you will learn methods that:
• Provide teams with a repeatable way to innovate
• Help you get more out of your direct customer research
• Measurably impact your product development efforts
• Promote productive interdisciplinary collaboration
• Tame the complexity of products and services
• Teach you creative alternatives to traditional brainstorming
This workshop is ideal for anyone who seeks to increase the innovative capacity of their organization; those who are interested in "design thinking"—or Human-Centered Design—and its relationship to innovation; and those who want to improve their skills in these areas.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
Product managers, designers, researchers, user experience professionals, marketers, consultants, engineers, and learning professionals interested in improving their skills in design thinking or human-centered design. Business, non-profit, and academic leaders interested in creating new value and affecting change through design thinking.
ABOUT LUMA INSTITUTE
LUMA Institute is an education company that teaches people how to be more innovative. Through a hands-on curriculum, LUMA helps organizations lean and apply the discipline of Human-Centered Design to create new value and drive sustainable growth.
LUMA offers workshops and advisory services that help organizations enlist design innovation and make things better.
HOW RECENT ATTENDEES DESCRIBE OUR WORKSHOP
- "The most I've learned in two days in the last 10 years."
- "While I've been a Human Factors Engineer for close to 30 years, I still learned new tools to use in my job."
- "This course has the absolute best information on how to rapidly and effectively improve not just the design process, but nearly every process in your team. I will not only recommend this course, but insist upon it! Thank you so much."
- "...packed full of useful information. The information will help us make better products."
- "Having a suite of techniques makes it easier to see how adding them could really improve our products."
- "This course is essential in giving systems engineers, and all engineers for that matter, a tool-box of methods to approaching problems in the workplace."
- "Learned several different methods that can be used by themselves or as mash-ups."
- "This course applies [needed] structure and 'packages' the methodology in a way that can be 'sold' to stereotypical high-ranking decision makers!"
- "The material was presented in a fresh way and with plenty of new ways to facilitate discussions and create prototypes. I've already recommended it."
- "The skills and methods presented are logical and can be applied to many scenarios. I personally feel educated and the course gives confidence to practice the methods in the future."
- "A lot of material & methods were crammed into two days but it didn't feel overwhelming because it was kept simple and we were given lots of examples to help understanding. The hands on exercises made everything really sink in and stick, as well as making it easier to relate the methods to our personal experiences / companies / challenges."
ATTENDEE ORGANIZATIONS HAVE INCLUDED:
Accenture, Alcatel-Lucent, Allstate, American Cancer Society, American Chemical Society, American Express, Amway, Astra Zeneca, BP, Bayer, Bobcat, Carnegie Mellon University, Carnegie Museums, Chamberlain, Cisco, Citrix, Coca-Cola, DesignSingapore Council, Dun & Bradstreet, Eaton, Eli Lilly, Emerson, Fandango, FedEx, Fidelity Investments, Fifth Third Bank, General Dynamics, General Motors, George Washington Institute of Public Policy, Google, Hallmark, Harvard Business School, Highmark BlueCross BlueShield, HP, Humana, IBM, ITT Institute of Design, Ingersoll Rand, Intuit, Internal Revenue Service, Johnsonville Sausage, Kelley Blue Book, Knight Foundation, Kodak, LEGO, MIT, Merrill Lynch, Michelin, Microsoft, National Research Corporation, Oncological Nursing Society, Oracle, PDD, PNC Bank, PepsiCo, Procter & Gamble, Progressive, Research in Motion (RIM), St. Jude Medical, Starwood Hotels and Resorts, State Farm, Steelcase, Symantec, T. Rowe Price, Tides, U.S. Defense Intelligence Agency, U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), U.S. Office of Personnel Management, University of Pittsburgh, University of Tennessee, University of Texas at Austin, Virginia Tech, Volkswagen, Volvo, Wal-Mart.com, Wells Fargo, Yahoo!
WHAT ARE SOME EXAMPLES OF METHODS THAT WILL BE COVERED?
- Rough and Ready Prototyping
- Think-Aloud Testing
- Stakeholder Mapping
- Persona Profile
- Wireframing (Schematic Diagramming)
- Contextual Inquiry
- Experience Diagramming
- Heuristic Review
- Rose, Thorn, Bud
- Affinity Clustering
- Importance/Difficulty Diagramming
- Abstraction Laddering
- Round Robin
- Concept Poster
- Video Scenario
- Bull's-eye Diagramming
WHAT YOU WILL GET
- LUMA Institute's "Innovating for People: Handbook of Human-Centered Design Methods", with lots of useful guidance for how best to apply its methodology; and
We do not offer refunds. However, as a courtesy, we may accommodate requests to transfer your registration to a future workshop scheduled within six months of the date of cancellation. It is also possible to send someone else in your place should you be unable to attend.
Also, please note that we reserve the right to cancel any public workshop up to fourteen (14) days prior to the start date of that workshop. In such a case, registrants will be promptly notified and will receive a full refund or be given the option to attend a future public workshop. We are not responsible for travel expenses or any costs that may be incurred as a result of a cancellation.
After registering, each attendee will be sent additional information from a LUMA team member concerning logistics. If you have additional requirements, please call us, and we’ll be happy to help.
Breakfast and lunch are included in your workshop registration fee.
- - -
More information at www.luma-institute.com/workshops
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Tech Shop San Francisco
926 Howard St
We equip people to accelerate innovation. We offer learning experiences, practical resources, and strategic services based on the discipline of Human-Centered Design. We outfit businesses, non-profits, governments, and schools – and see measurable and meaningful impact everyday.