San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
As the OpenStorage Summit is being rescheduled (I don't have further details: it's a marketing event, whereas I'm an engineer), I am pleased to announce that Joyent is picking up this event as part of illumos/ZFS day.
If you haven't contributed to illumos previously, please visit the project home page, read about the project, how to build illumos, and how to contribute, and join the developer list. We are making specific arrangements for first-time contributors, but you will need to make a few preparations if you don't have previous experience of illumos beyond reading up on the project:
- bring a system with the latest OpenIndiana distribution installed, either on bare metal or in a VM (please see illumos build notes: VirtualBox is not usable for development with pre-Nehalem processors)
- following the above notes on how to build illumos, build and upgrade to the latest illumos build
- if you have any problems along the way, mail the developer list or use the #illumos channel on freenode
- scan the issue tracker for bite-sized bugs to work on at the hackathon
- consider watching my illumos day talk, "Contributing to illumos", at 4:30PM
Here's the format thus far: projects discussions may commence as a wind-down for ZFS Day (October 2), so it can't hurt to be on hand for both.
Coding will happen the following day. Demos will start at 5 and give way to whatever socialising people have left in them at that point.