San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
6 years, seriously? Well, I may not be responsible enough to raise a child, but I've managed to keep the IKEA Bus alive for longer than any plant I've ever owned. So, that's something!
But, IKEA Bus 6 can't head off to 1st grade without you needing to remodel your kitchen, toss out that couch your todder barfed on, or finally get that shiftless millenial out of the house and settled into a real grown-up apartment.
1. Buy a ticket (I'm sorry about the surcharge!) for yourself, your mom, your girlfriend, that hot guy who stood behind you in line at the post office... and then go home to make a shopping list while you wait.
2. On Saturday, May 21st, meet at the Marginal Way Park & Ride lot (located across the street from the World Gym) SLIGHTLY BEFORE 8 AM. The Ikea Bus will leave the lot promptly at 8, so don't be late!
4. We will have roughly 5 hours (seems like a lot, but in IKEA time, it's like 15 mintues) to romp, browse, snack, shop, etc. We will meet back at the bus at bus at 3 pm (2:30 if you have purchased anything big that needs to get loaded into the truck that will be joining us) to head back to Portland. Barring major disaster, expect to be home between 5:30 & 6. Make sure that there's someone with a vehicle to pick you and your enormously heavy particle board furniture up, unless you will be using the Local Muscle delivery service (as detailed below).
SOME THINGS TO KNOW:
- There will be some snacks and beverages provided for the ride down & the ride back (TBD- suggestions welcome!), but feel free to bring your own as well. As long as you are of age, you can also totally BYOB.
- There will be in-flight movies (also TBD). That said, the sound will play over the bus sound system (no headphones), so it will likely be more background noise than anything. Let me know if you have any suggestions or requests.
- There is a bathroom. A bus bathroom, but still good.
- Because we will have the magical Local Muscle Movers on board again this year, you can get whatever the hell you want at IKEA. Bed, mattress, couch... Just make sure you can get it home. As with prior years, delivery within Portland proper is covered by the cost of your ticket (although, tipping is strongly encouraged). Cost for out of town deliveries (within 20 miles of Portland) will be negotiated on a per-case basis. You should email me in advance to iron out the details.
Or, if you just want to load up on decorative chicken napkins, there is also a lot of under-bus storage for smaller purchases.