San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
IT'S THE 5TH ANNIVERSARY, Y'ALL!!! Bust out your party hats, because the IKEA Bus turns 5 this year, and we party like to like we mean it. We're not sure exactly how yet, but this year is going to be bigger, sparklier, and more fun than ever. You might even be able to say, OFF THE CHAIN.
Join the 2015 IKEA Bus party, and scratch your spring cleaning/apartment rearranging/new house nesting/just want to eat some meatballs itch. This is how we do it:
1. Buy a ticket (I'm sorry about the surcharge!) for yourself, your mom, your girlfriend, that hot guy who stood behind you in line at the post office... and then go home to make a shopping list while you wait.
2. On Saturday, May 16th, meet at the Marginal Way Park & Ride lot (located across the street from the World Gym) SLIGHTLY BEFORE 8 AM. The Ikea Bus will leave the lot promptly at 8, so don't be late!
4. We will have roughly 5 hours (seems like a lot, but in IKEA time, it's like 15 mintues) to romp, browse, snack, shop, etc. We will meet back at the bus at bus at 3 pm (2:30 if you have purchased anything big that needs to get loaded into the truck that will be joining us) to head back to Portland. Barring major disaster, expect to be home between 5:30 & 6. Make sure that there's someone with a vehicle to pick you and your enormously heavy particle board furniture up, unless you will be using the Local Muscle delivery service (as detailed below).
SOME THINGS TO KNOW:
- There will be some snacks and beverages provided for the ride down & the ride back (TBD- suggestions welcome!), but feel free to bring your own as well. As long as you are of age, you can also totally BYOB.
- There will be in-flight movies (also TBD). That said, the sound will play over the bus sound system (no headphones), so it will likely be more background noise than anything. Let me know if you have any suggestions or requests.
- There is a bathroom. A bus bathroom, but still good.
- Because we will have the magical Local Muscle Movers on board again this year, you can get whatever the hell you want at IKEA. Bed, mattress, couch... Just make sure you can get it home. As with prior years, delivery within Portland proper is covered by the cost of your ticket (although, tipping is strongly encouraged). Cost for out of town deliveries (within 20 miles of Portland) will be negotiated on a per-case basis.
Also, if you will be cashing in on the Local Muscle experience, to ease in the organization of their delivery route, you can fill out this form online in advance.
Or, if you just want to load up on spatulas and plush broccoli, there is also a lot of under-bus storage for smaller purchases.