IFT Theatre Fundraiser Reception with Special Guest Binyavanga Wainaina
Sunday, June 22, 2014 from 5:00 PM to 6:30 PM (PDT)
San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
IFT (It’s a Freedom Thing) Theatre is thrilled to be hosting an exclusive company fundraiser with world-renowned guest Binyavanga Wainaina. Wainaina is a Kenyan author, journalist and winner of the Caine Prize for African Writing. In April 2014, Time magazine named Wainaina one of the top 100 "Most Influential People in the World." His work has been published in The New York Times, The Guardian, and National Geographic and he is one of the most celebrated and widely read authors in Africa. His best selling memoir “One Day I will Write About This Place” has been translated into seven languages. The VIP event will be held at Buddies in Bad Times Theatre (12 Alexander St.) from 5:00-6:30PM, follwed by the play at 7:00pm.
The $60 fundraiser admission is packed with value. Guests can expect:
- Social atmosphere
- A chance to hear Binyavanga read an excerpt from his best selling memoir
- A chance to win an autographed copy of Binyavanga’s best selling memoir
- Delicious catering and 2 complimentary wine drink tickets
- Entertainment, including acclaimed dubpoet d'bi.young aniafrika, jazz vocalist Bay Richards, and traditional West & East African music
- Reserved seating for a reading of the groundbreaking play Just Me, You and The Silence by Ugandan writer ADONG Lucy Judith featuring a first rate all Black Canadian cast immediately following the fundraiser at 7:00PM.
Donations will also be accepted if you cannot attend or simply want to further support.
Thank you and see you there!
IFT Theatre is a not for profit professional performing arts company based in Toronto, Ontario. Founded in 2011 by award wining director Mumbi Tindyebwa Otu, IFT theatre focuses on creating and producing culturally diverse work that is interdisciplinary or experimental in form,content and style.
When & Where
IFT theatre is a not for profit professional performing arts company based in Toronto, Ontario. Founded in 2011 by Theatre Creator-Director Mumbi Tindyebwa Otu, winner of the Mallory Gilbert Leadership Protege Award. IFT theatre focuses on creating and producing culturally diverse work that is interdisciplinary or experimental in form, content and style.