Free

Human Centred Cyber Security

Actions and Detail Panel

Free

Event Information

Share this event

Date and time

Location

Location

University of Auckland Faculty of Science (Building)

38 Princes Street

Auckland, Auckland 1010

New Zealand

View Map

Event description
Tackling phishing by moving beyond spam filters and blaming the end user

About this event

PLEASE NOTE: The University requires all visitors to campus to be vaccinated and to provide proof in the form of a vaccine passport for this face to face event.

- - - - - - - - - -

Phishing attacks cost the global economy US$20 billion in 2021 alone and that number is only projected to go up. Within 10 years, global costs related to ransomware – often installed following successful phishing attacks – are projected to balloon to US$265 billion a year. We are hoping to change that.

Until now, most work aimed at stopping phishing has focused on technological fixes or on what “blame-the-user” approaches. The problem is, neither approach is doing enough.

Technological approaches have undeniably had an impact. Spam filters and similar tools stop about 90% of malicious emails. But that still leaves 10%. Given the sheer volume of phishing emails - 160 million per day - most people are still confronting potentially dangerous emails on a daily or near-daily basis.

Current user-based interventions aren’t solving the problem either. Certainly, education can help people learn to recognise signs an email may be suspicious. However, 65% of companies that have been victims of phishing attacks had previously performed some form of training.

With my team, we want to focus on something new: the individuals involved and the circumstances in which they receive and deal with phishing attacks.

About the Speaker:

Dr Giovanni Russello is an Associate Professor and the Head of the School of Computer Science at the University of Auckland. Giovanni is directing the Cyber Security Research Programme, a multi-million project funded by MBIE to improve the cyber security stance of NZ and increase the collaboration between NZ and AU researchers.

He is the founding Director of the Cyber Security Foundry, the first New Zealand multi-disciplinary centre in Cyber Security aiming at improving the collaboration between industry and academia. Between 2013 and 2014, he was the funding CEO of a startup targeting the smartphone security market.

He received his M.Sc. (summa cum laude) degree in Computer Science from the University of Catania, Italy in 2000, and his Ph.D. degree from the Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e) in 2006. He did his postdoc in the Department of Computing at Imperial College London, UK.

His research interests include human-centred cyber security, policy-based security systems, privacy and confidentiality in cloud computing, smartphone security, and applied cryptography. He has published over 140 research articles in these research areas and has two granted US patents in smartphone security.

Share with friends

Date and time

Location

University of Auckland Faculty of Science (Building)

38 Princes Street

Auckland, Auckland 1010

New Zealand

View Map

Organizer (ISC)² Auckland Chapter

Organizer of Human Centred Cyber Security

Our mission is to advance information security in local communities throughout the Northland, Auckland, Bay of Plenty, Waikato and the Gisborne areas of New Zealand by providing our members and other security professionals with the opportunity to share knowledge, grow professionally, educate others, and collaborate on projects.

Save This Event

Event Saved