San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
Drag Week 2014 Heads-Up Shootout Rules and Spectator Info
Drag Week is Presented by Gear Vendors and co-sponsored by Pep Boys Speed Shops
Written by: David Freiburger
Long ago we announced that there would be a Drag Week Heads-Up Shootout on the Saturday following the event. This will be the chance for the little guys to trounce the big guys if they can. This is a real race, whereas Drag Week is essentially time trials. Reaction time means nothing at Drag Week. It could mean everything at the Heads-Up Shootout. Be there at Tulsa Raceway Park on Saturday, September 13. Gates open at 8, racing starts at 10 and we will go until 5 or as long as we have cars to run. If you’re going to spectate, we recommend getting there early.
The rules for Drag Week Heads-Up are listed below, but first, spectator info:
- 12 and under free with paid adult
- $15 for adults
- There is a reserved seating area for $50 which includes a trackside viewing area.
- Tickets for Tulsa can be purchased in advance online. You can also buy Tulsa tickets for the earlier days of Drag Week: the Sunday, September 7 registration day is $10; Monday, September 8 racing is $10; and Friday, September 12 is $15.
- NOTE, Drag Week tickets for Topeka on the 9th, Thunder Valley on the 10th, and Great Bend on the 11th are $10 each and can only be purchased at the gate.
Now, here are the rules, format, and procedure for the HOT ROD Drag Week Shootout at Tulsa Raceway Park on Saturday, September 13.
- Gates open at 8, racing starts at 10. We will race until we have a winner, and then the track may be open to grudge matches until 5, listen to announcements at the track
- All cars that completed Drag Week 2014 will be allowed to participate and are encouraged to do so. There is no charge for Drag Week 2014 competitors to participate.
- The Heads-Up Shootout in no way affects the finishing positions of Drag Week.
- Cars that competed in Naturally Aspirated classes during Drag Week may not add power adders for the Heads-Up Shootout
- Cars must compete on the same size tires they ran during Drag Week.
- All cars will be placed on a Sportsman ladder based on their quickest e.t. during Drag Week. Note this is not the average e.t., it’s the best e.t. of the week.
- In the case of a tie in e.t., the higher mph will go higher on the ladder.
- The ladder is based on an all-run format, regardless of the class each car ran in during Drag Week. Cars of mixed classes will end up running side by side.
- All races will be on a Pro tree. We will run a Pro tree throughout Drag Week so you have five days to practice.
- Once we get down to 8 cars, we will call all 8 onto the track and we’ll line up the 4 quickest cars on one side and the 4 slower cars on the other. Each of the quickest racers will get to choose which of the slower cars they want to race. The driver with the quickest e.t. gets to pick first, the second quickest picks second, and so on.
- Once we are down to 4 cars, we will call all 4 onto the track and we’ll line up the 2 quickest cars on one side and the 2 slower cars on the other. Each of the quickest racers will get to choose which of the slower cars they want to race.
If you are a racer and plan to attend the Heads-Up Shootout, we’d appreciate an email to tell us so. Make it super short and easy, like “I’ll be at the Heads-Up race.” We’d just like to get an idea of how big this will be. DragWeek@HotRod.com
We trust this will be a battle royale the like of which has never been seen with real street cars. Don’t miss it! Click here to buy Drag Week tickets at Tulsa Raceway Park
FULL DRAG WEEK SCHEDULE
Sunday September 7, 2014: Registration & Test ‘n Tune; Tulsa Raceway Park gates Open 8:00 a.m, Tulsa, OK — $10 to watch
Monday September 8, 2014: Day 1 Racing; Tulsa Raceway Park gates open 7:30 a.m — $10 to watch
Tuesday September 9, 2014: Day 2 Racing; Heartland Park, Topeka, KS — $10 to watch
Wednesday September 10, 2014: Day 3 Racing; Thunder Valley Raceway Park, Noble, OK — $10 to watch
Thursday September 11, 2014: Day 4 Racing; S.R.C.A. Drag Strip, Great Bend, KS — $10 to watch
Friday September 12, 2014: Day 5 Finals; Tulsa Raceway Park gates open 2:00 p.m, Tulsa, OK — $15 to watch
Saturday, September 13, 2014: DRAG WEEK HEADS-UP EVENT; Tulsa Raceway Park gates open 8:00 a.m , Tulsa, OK — $15 to watch
Drag Week 2014 is Presented by Gear Vendors and Co-Sponsored by Pep Boys Speed Shop
Categories: 2014 Drag Week