Actions and Detail Panel
Historic Nob Hill - Alphabet District Walking Tour
Sat, April 8, 2017, 11:00 AM – 12:30 PM PDT
Walk NW 23rd and learn about its transformation from an elite residential neighborhood to a trendy retail and upscale dining district. Tours meet most Thursdays and Saturdays at 11am. This tour compliments our Slabtown Tour by focusing on the historically elite end of NW 23rd closer to W Burnside. Highlights of the tour include the tale of the notrorious Nina Churchaman Larowe, the site of one of the largest alcohol raids in Portland history, the view of the Captain Joseph A. Sladen House and a few odd alterations of domestic dwellings adapted for commercial uses. Guests learn about a number of preservation tales and historic stucture in the historic district from their guide, an expert on historic preservation with a PhD in Urban Studies.
What do you do if there is ice or snow?
It is not safe for us to operate tours on slippery streets. We will refund your tour costs.
What do you do if it is 100 degrees?
If there is a heat advisory (a period of hot temperature expected by the local/national weather service), this can create a situation where heat illnesses are possible and it is recommended to stay out of the sun. Slabtown Tours LLC will try to reschedule the tour for later in the day on the same Sunday.
What do I do if I can’t make it to the scheduled tour?
There are no refunds for no-shows, but if you cancel before the start of the tour, you can reschedule for another date. If you need to cancel, call 503.206.4676 or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are running late for a tour, text 971.302.3926.
What are my transport/parking options getting to the event?
Parking meters arrive in 2016 along major commecil street, but thus far there are still many areas to park for free. Most tour starting points are walkable from the Stadium MAX Station stop or other MAX or Portland Streetcar stops. Timbers and Thorns game days are typically not ideal days for tours. We suspend tours on dates with heavy parking needs.
Do we get to go inside the homes?
Once a year I work with the NW Cultural Center and the Northwest Children’s Theater to help put on a historic home tour. For 2015 & 2016 that effort raised approximately $15,000 toward ADA improvemnents for NW 1819 Everett. Please like the Slabtown Tour LLC Facebook page or sign up for our monthly email newsletter to stay informed about opportunities to enter historic homes.
Where can I contact the organizer with any questions?
Landline for Slabtown Tours LLC: 503.206.4676
Text if you are late for a tour: 971.302.3926
Can guests play Pokemon GO on your tour?
Can I bring my dog on the tour?
Yes well-behaved dogs can join our standard tours on leash. We do not enter any buildings on our regular tours.
I heard there is a waiver could you share the text with me?
Yes. You can view the waiver here:
PARTICIPANT AGREEMENT & LIABILITY WAIVER & EXPLANATION OF INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS
In consideration for being allowed to participate in the walking tour “Slabtown Tours LLC”, I agree as follows:
1. That I understand that there are no refunds for the tour.
2. That I will fully cooperate with the tour leader and any building or business owner, employee, etc., whose establishment we visit;
3. That the tour will be conducted on public streets and that I will not block sidewalks or impede the flow of pedestrian traffic;
4. That I do not have any physical, mental, or emotional disability or illness that would cause me any difficulties or harm as a participant on the walking tour;
5. That for the protection of intellectual property rights, I understand I cannot use and audio or visual recording devices without advance written permission from Tanya Lyn March and Slabtown Tours LLC;
6. That I will not use the information, photographs, videos, film, digital images, or audio recordings which I obtain as a result of participating on this walking tour to write any books, magazine or newspaper articles, plays, video or film scripts, CDs, CD ROMs, DVDs, games, audio tapes, web sites, etc., including assist any other entity in these activities, without prior written permission from Tanya Lyn March; [PLEASE NOTE: This covers all intellectual property rights!]
7. I understand there are known and unknown dangers which will be encountered on this tour, and I hereby waive any claims for liability that I have, or may in the future have, against "Slabtown Tours LLC., and/or Tanya Lyn March, or any businesses, their owner(s) and employees, and hereby release those parties from any claims which I have or may in the future have as a result of this tour for any harm or injuries that I may sustain, specifically including any harm or injuries that I may sustain as a result of the negligence of any of the above parties.