San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
With the recent implementation of new HIPAA regulations in the HIPAA Omnibus Update of 2013, healthcare organizations are reviewing their compliance and making sure they have the proper policies, procedures, and forms in place. HIPAA Privacy Officers have been renewing their compliance activities and reviewing their documentation to make sure they can meet the challenges of the new rules and avoid breaches and penalties for compliance violations.
This session is designed to provide an intensive, one and a half-day training in HIPAA Privacy Rule compliance, covering:
- What’s new in the regulations
- What needs to change in your organization
- What needs to be addressed for compliance by covered entities and business associates
- What are the most important privacy issues
- What can happen when compliance is not adequate
This seminar will also explain audits and enforcement, and how privacy regulations relate to security and breach regulations, as well as responding to privacy and security breaches and ways to prevent them. Numerous references and sample documents will be provided.
- Understand the structure of the HIPAA Regulations and how they work together
- Learn what has changed in the rules based on the HIPAA Omnibus Update Rule
- Learn how Business Associates are now covered directly under the rules
- Discover what has to be modified to meet the new rules and how to interpret them
- Understand what are the rights individuals have about their health information
- Know what are the limitations on uses and disclosures by a healthcare entity
- Learn the updated rules on using health information for marketing and fundraising
- Find out how the rules impact the use of electronic health records
- Know how to use Risk Analysis to make compliance decisions about safeguards
- Know how to respond to breaches and violations of Privacy and Security rules
- Learn how to deal with the modern portable technologies and communication methods
- Understand how to use policies, documentation, training, and drills to prepare for audits and incidents, and achieve good compliance
Who will Benefit:
This seminar will provide valuable assistance to all personnel in medical offices, practice groups, hospitals, academic medical centers, insurers, business associates (shredding, data storage, systems vendors, billing services, etc.). The following personnel will find this session valuable:
- Compliance director
- Privacy Officer
- Security Officer
- Information Systems Manager
- HIPAA Officer
- Chief Information Officer
- Health Information Manager
- Healthcare Counsel/lawyer
- Office Manager
- Contracts Manager
Meet Your Instructor:
Principal and Director of Compliance Services, Lewis Creek Systems, LLC
Jim Sheldon-Dean is the founder and director of compliance services at Lewis Creek Systems, LLC, a Vermont-based consulting firm founded in 1982, providing information privacy and security regulatory compliance services to a wide variety of health care entities.
Mr. Sheldon-Dean serves on the HIMSS Information Systems Security Workgroup, has co-chaired the Workgroup for Electronic Data Interchange Privacy and Security Workgroup, and is a recipient of the WEDI 2011 Award of Merit. He is a frequent speaker regarding HIPAA and information privacy and security compliance issues at seminars and conferences, including speaking engagements at numerous regional and national healthcare association conferences and conventions and the annual NIST/OCR HIPAA Security Conference in Washington, D.C.
He has more than 30 years of experience in policy analysis and implementation, business process analysis, information systems and software development. His experience includes leading the development of health care related Web sites; award-winning, best-selling commercial utility software; and mission-critical, fault-tolerant communications satellite control systems. In addition, he has eight years of experience doing hands-on medical work as a Vermont certified volunteer emergency medical technician. He received his B.S. degree, summa cum laude, from the University of Vermont and his master’s degree from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
Note: Use coupon code < NB5SQH8N > and get 10% off on registration.
Save This Event
When & Where
Enhancing global compliance, creating a world where quality and compliance professionals, regulators, and government agencies come together to help the world comply with the intent and the spirit of laws, policies and mandates, ensuring continuous improvement in global operations, quality & safety.
Making sure that we are responsible corporate citizens helping our constituents build a more responsible enterprise, one which operates with high quality , under a code of ethics, and with process discipline to ensure greater shareholder returns.
Keeping things simple and straight forward , so that we all can indeed improve the quality of our processes, our work, our businesses and enhance compliance globally.
Being inclusive, giving the process experts ( & novices! ), compliance professionals, quality champions, and regulatory agencies a voice so that all of us can contribute and make a difference.