HIPAA Breach Notification - New rules significantly change how you determine what to report
Thursday, August 22, 2013 from 10:00 AM to 11:30 AM (PDT)
This webinar will provide a comprehensive overview of the new HIPAA Breach Notification rules, tips for preventing and preparing for breaches, the new penalties for non compliance, and how to prepare for HIPAA audits. It will include case-study discussions to explain the key elements in an HIPAA audit.
Why Should You Attend:
HIPAA Breach Notification rules require notification of individuals and HHS when information security is breached, and the rules for determining what to report have changed. But, many organizations are not prepared to respond to a breach of PHI and report and document it properly.
During this session, we will discuss the origins of the rule and how it works, including interactions with other HIPAA rules and penalties for violations. You will learn to figure out how serious a breach may be and whom to notify if there is a chance of compromise.
The presenter will talk about what information needs to be encrypted the most and how entities are doing it. We will cover the guidance from the US Department of Health and Human Services that shows how to encrypt so as to prevent the need for notification in the event of lost data. We will discuss how to create the right breach notification policy for your organization and how to follow through when an incident occurs.
This course will explain, based on historical analysis of reported breaches, what measures must be taken today to protect information from the most common threats, as well as discuss information security trends and explain what kinds of efforts will need to be undertaken in the future to protect the security of PHI. We will discuss the kinds of threats that exist for PHI and how they're changing as the hackers gain experience and abilities, and why you need to prepare for next-generation attacks now.
Areas Covered in the Seminar:
- Breach Notification Laws
- State Breach Notification Laws
- Changes to HIPAA
- Federal Breach Notification Law and Regulation
- The Who, What, and How of Breach Notification
- Preventing and Preparing for Breaches
- Using an Information Security Management Process
- Using Risk Analysis and Risk Assessment
- Most Common Types of Breaches
- Information Security, Incident, and Breach Notification Policies
- The Importance of Documentation
- Enforcement and Audits
- New HIPAA Violation Categories and Penalties
- Preparing for HIPAA Audits
- Case Studies
- Future Trends and New Threats to Prepare For
- History vs. the Future
- Why Attack Trends Are Changing
- Implications of New Directions in Attacks and Targets
A policy framework to help establish good security practices will be presented during the webinar.
At ComplianceOnline, we are focused on :
- Enhancing global compliance, creating a world where quality and compliance professionals, regulators, and government agencies come together to help the world comply with the intent and the spirit of laws, policies and mandates, ensuring continuous improvement in global operations, quality & safety.
- Making sure that we are responsible corporate citizens helping our constituents build a more responsible enterprise, one which operates with high quality , under a code of ethics, and with process discipline to ensure greater shareholder returns.
- Keeping things simple and straight forward , so that we all can indeed improve the quality of our processes, our work, our businesses and enhance compliance globally.
- Being inclusive, giving the process experts ( & novices! ), compliance professionals, quality champions, and regulatory agencies a voice so that all of us can contribute and make a difference.