The 2014 HEROES Model National Conference is hosted by The HEROES Model Institute and Re:LIFE Incorporated. The conference will feature a variety of breakout and inclusive sessions focused on those issues most current and relevant to the development of children and youth – HEROES. HEROES is an acronym representing Heritage, Education, Relationships, Opportunities, Entrepreneurship and Service. These crucial areas form the framework of The HEROES Model for positive youth development. The HEROES Model conference will present innovative methods and a holistic approach to engaging and empowering children and youth in order to positively impact development.
Theme: The theme of the conference is "Culturally Relevant Pedagogy: Tools to engage and empower children and youth innovatively"
Speakers and sessions are selected based upon their focus on innovative solutions to youth engagement, coupled with the current climate relative to children and youth development policies. Speakers will challenge and empower participants by discussing and showcasing products, services and best practices relevant to child and youth engagement.
Audience – Individuals/staff who work directly or indirectly with youth at the National, State, City and Community levels to provide resources that assist youth in their development, either through administrative supervision, education, training, job recruitment or placement, counseling and more. These include case managers/workers, teachers, job coaches/developers, trainers, counselors, transition coordinators, youth development leaders/workers, independent living specialists, vocational rehabilitation specialists, parole officers, administrators, relatives, parents, religious representatives, caretakers etc.
Some Speakers include:
- Hon Adam Clayton Powell IV (Former New York City Councilmember and Assembly member)
- Hon Jackie Weatherspoon (Former House Whip, New Hampshire House of Representatives)
- Yvette Jackson Ed.D (CEO, National Urban Alliance for Effective Education)
- Richaed Achee (Head - Strategic Partnerships, Google for Education)
- Kenneth Braswell (CEO, Fathers, Incorporated)
- Charles Garland (CEO & Innovator, The Innovation Outlet)
- Steven A Lee-Kong, MD (Surgeon & Professor, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons)
- Matthew Mandelbaum, PhD, MSEd, MA (Director of Outreach, Robert Louis Stevenson School)
- Shelley Worrell, MA (Founder & Chief Curator, cariBEING and Worrell Media Group)
- Alvin S. Perry DBA (Serial Entrepreneur & Adjunct Professor)
- Bill Brazell (Member, Board of Trustees, PKD Foundation)
- Angelo Pinto (Campaign Manager, Raise the Age Campaign- Correctional Associations of NY)
- Chike Ukaegbu (Author, HEROES Model)
For a complete list of speakers and bios and for more info on the Conference, please visit heroesmodel.com/conference or email firstname.lastname@example.org
When & Where
Chike Ukaegbu & Re:LIFE Incorporated
Chike Ukaegbu was just named one of Pave's 2014 New York City's Rising Stars for his contribution to youth development. He was recently a speaker at the 10th Annual Harlem Innovation Summit titled Disrupt Harlem, and spoke on Entrepreneurship and Side Hustles at TEDxKamuela in Hawaii.
Chike is the author and originator of The HEROES Model and an alumni Fellow of the prestigious Colin Powell Center for Leadership and Policy Studies, focusing on Youth related policies. He studied Biomedical Engineering at The City College of New York where he is currently a Math Instructor. He is also Entrepreneurship instructor at The City College of New York.
Chike has been involved in youth policy research and evaluation for 10 years, and has focused largely on the engagement and empowerment of youth, mostly at-risk and disconnected youth. He develops and implements effective youth programs, and presently serves as Co-Founder and President of Re:LIFE Incorporated, which is an NYC Nonprofit with a mission to empower youth through entrepreneurship and education.
Find out more about Chike here
Connect with Chike via his Linkedin
Follow him on Twitter @chikeukaegbu; @buddvee
Follow Re:LIFE @ReLIFEInc and on Facebook here