Free

Healthy Living with Diabetes Conference 2019: In It Together

Event Information

Share this event

Date and Time

Location

Location

Murray State College Park Student Union

1 Murray Campus Drive

Tishomingo, 73460

View Map

Refund Policy

Refund Policy

Contact the organizer to request a refund.

Event description
Join the Johnston County Diabetes Coalition and find out how your family can be "In It Together" when it comes to living with diabetes.

About this Event

This year's event will feature a vendor fair, 3 breakout sessions, and a keynote address during the lunch hour (lunch and refreshments will be provided).

Info on our Keynote Speaker:

Jeri Mills, RDN/LD, CDE, MHR

  • Registered Dietician Jeri Mills comes to us from Owosso, OK with over 29 years of experience in the field and 19 years of experience as a Certified Diabetes Educator. Her affiliations include the OK State Board of Medical Licensure and Supervision and the American Association of Diabetes Educators. Jeri is looking forward to sharing her experience with us as it pertains to managing and thriving with diabetes as a family.

Info on the Breakout Sessions:

Living Your Best Life with MSC’s OT Department

  • During this breakout session, students in Murray State College’s Occupational Therapy Assistant Program will cover a variety of topics under the direction of their academic field work coordinator and occupational therapist, Brandie Howell. The students will share best practices for living with diabetes, including caring for your skin and being physically active. Participants will, also, have the choice to engage in low-impact yoga during this presentation.

FACE 2 FACE with FHCSO

  • This break out session includes a panel of providers from the Family Health Center of Southern Oklahoma. A person with diabetes spends approximately 1% of their time in the company of health professionals. The remaining 99% is time spent managing their diabetes. FHCSO providers will push, pull, surprise, challenge, inspire and encourage you to maintain control, recognize problems, and support your determination to manage your disease well.

Dinner in an Instant with OSU Extension

  • This breakout session will feature Oklahoma State University’s Extension Educator Sara Randolph as she teaches you how to prepare diabetic-friendly meals in a matter of minutes using an electric pressure cooker.. Attendants will have the opportunity to watch a food demonstration, taste test the recipe made, receive a few additional recipes to try on their own, and hear Sara’s hints and tips for using an electric pressure cooker.

Participants who stay until the end of the conference will also have the chance to walk home with an electric pressure cooker of their own, which has been donated as this year’s door prize.

The event is free and open to the public; however, registration is required to reserve your lunch.

Share with friends

Date and Time

Location

Murray State College Park Student Union

1 Murray Campus Drive

Tishomingo, 73460

View Map

Refund Policy

Contact the organizer to request a refund.

Save This Event

Event Saved